PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New,second, Hard Drive recognized in bios but cant access it

by nei61 / April 2, 2005 4:27 AM PST

I have Just had to reinstall win98se, Now i cant access my second hard drive, It shows up in device manager but i cant get to it. I dont want to format it because it has all of my mp3's and videos on it, How do i assign it a drive letter?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New,second, Hard Drive recognized in bios but cant access it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New,second, Hard Drive recognized in bios but cant access it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does it show in Windows Explorer???

What file format does it use?? If it is in NTFS FAT 32 won't read it, but seems unlikely that if you have been a Win 98 user that you would have a drive formatted in NTFS.

It had to be formatted to put files on it.

Use a Win 98 boot floppy and use FDISK to see what it says about it. Don't FDISK it, just type FDISK status and select that drive to see what it says.

Collapse -
Your install procedure needs a little clarification....

is this a:

1) OEM install from a makers recovery disk or:
2) install from a generic Win98 CD.

Have you installed the mainboard drivers, et al.?

How is the second drive formatted as opposed to the first drive?

Have you backed up your wanted data to an external source? Hard drives are mere temporary storage with a MTBF of X amount of hours, depending on the hard drives maker.

Collapse -
drive the drive
by mcgilbdd / April 8, 2005 6:16 AM PDT

I tend to agree with the reply above from Mike....the most likely culprit is the Mainboard drivers, which come on a disk, or can be downloaded and installed from the board manufacturer's home page....the boot sector of the drive could be involved here...and you should read the instructions that came with the drive to make sure all the software is installed. Good luck.
Be sure to double check all cable connections, jumper settings, ect.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.