Mac OS forum

General discussion

new scanner for a new Emac?

Ka-ching! I'm thinking I get to spend MORE money on my computer. Hmmm

I have a new Emac running OSX 10.3.5. I recently loaded in Photoshop & Illustrator CS, which I THOUGHT would make it compatible with my CanoScan N650U flatbed scanner. Uh uh. The new driver from the Canon website works, BUT only after opening OS9. Also Illustrator CS will not recognize any format scanned in on the old scanner (operating in OS9). I had to drag an earlier version of Illustrator out of the trash . I don't want to use OS9 anymore, and am tired of playing referee with all my applications. Is there a way to get them to all get along, or do I shell out for a new scanner?.

If so, any recommendations? Warnings?

Thanks all, as usual

Claudia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new scanner for a new Emac?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new scanner for a new Emac?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scanner

In reply to: new scanner for a new Emac?

More money?!!
Were the versions of Photoshop and Illustrator the OSX versions?
If they are, then Illustrator must have a conversion tool to enable you to change the format of Illustrator files created in an earlier version of Illustrator. To open the OS 9 created files, do you double click them or do you launch Ill and then go File/Open? Sometimes this method works when the other doesn't.
I'm not sure I understand how taking an old version of Illustrator from the trash enables you to open the files you scanned. Don't scanned files get saved in some form of Graphic format and not as Illustrator documents. I thought that part came later, I could be wrong though
There must have been a little more information on the Canon site about the scanner driver. Go back and check that it said that it worked with OS X, under Classic Mode. If it did, then it may be that a new scanner is on the horizon.
No recommendations for a scanner from me. Just make sure that the one you get works with OS X. Most of them do now.

Hope this helps a little

P

Collapse -
scanners

In reply to: Scanner

when i upgraded my mac to OS x 10.3.8 , i experienced a similar situation ..i have an old nikon scanner (1999) and photoshop 5 on os 9, was using both operating systems seperately..whatever u do to mac osX inexplicably alters what os 9 is doing..i was lucky in that i have an old G3 that i now use as a dedicated scanning computer, then bring files over on a zip disc
..the only other choice, as recommended by apple was to attempt to reinstall os 9, even though it was still there.. but then i have found that everytime u change something , u don't know what will get loopy next..if u are on an earlier version (before Jan 2005) of osx, this is not a problem..a lot of older scanners are not compatible with osx upgraded..you can check out a program called vuescan, it's free(check google), it may help your incompatibility issues. u may be better off with the earlier version of osx,if u still have the cd to reinstall, and then don't upgrade until apple has addressed the issue...i hope that makes sense, applies, or has helped u..

Collapse -
Scanner fun with OSX

Hi, P- The file I'm having trouble with was a newly scanned design- No matter what tag I saved it with (jpg, for example) the new version of Illustrator (CS) did not recognize it- I think because it was scanned in with a scanner that was compatible with OS9. The only way I could open it was to use the older version (of illustrator). And even then- the pixels were all skewered and I couldn't add color. And yes, alas, There was one application on the Canon site that even mentioned OSX and then it was "classic mode". Ahoy- is that a new scanner I see?

Thanks as always for your response & input but I see a trip to Staples in my future.

C.

Collapse -
Scanner

In reply to: Scanner fun with OSX

Circuit City or Best buy would be the better option, I think. Make sure it has the OS X logo on it.
No matter what scanner you used to scan something in with, once it is done and the file is on the HD, the choice of scanner ceases to be of any relevance.
A JPG is a jpg is a jpg no matter how it got there.

Good Luck

P

Collapse -
Scanner

P, I purchased a new HP4570C scanner last year that is designed for system X. The only way I scan is to open Adobe Photoshop and acquire my scanner to the HP Scanner software to produce a scan. Not Adobe Illustrator. I do a color scan which is RGB (Red, Green, Blue), usually 200 dots per inch, save it as a CMYK, EPS for press. If I wanted to send you a file over the internet, I would save the file as a JPEG and in RGB.
My real question is would anyone want to use Illustrator to scan? It will not work. One has to use Photoshop. Do you have any tips to give to the original post? Maybe go back to the Cannon Manual? All in all, purchase a new scanner designed for MacX, donate the old cannon scanner to someone using OS9. Ching?$$$! Not so. Does not cost a lot and reletively very inexpensive since the post has Photoshop CS already. I have never tried it, but I do not think you can use an old scanner, OS9 connected to system X software. Let me know.
Thanks,
Kevin

Collapse -
Old scnner new scanner?

Kevin-
I was the original poster here. I used to be able to scan in files with a CanoScan N650U scanner on my old Imac running OS9. I'd save it to my desktop as a jpg via CanoScan, then open it in Illustrator to work on it. Or Photoshop-depending on what I wanted to do. With the purchase of the new Emac, I found it difficult to make the old scanner compatible. Clicking on the CanoScan icon opened OS9. Only then was I able to save a new file, however Illustrator CS didn't recognize the jpg format from the old scanner- so what's a girl to do?

I just purchased a new Canon Scanner LiDE 35 flatbed (with a $30 mail in rebate from Staples!), not much ka-ching at all.

Thanks for your input.

regards,
Claudia

Collapse -
Old Scanner

In reply to: Old scnner new scanner?

Claudia, I never knew you could scan and open to Illustrator. CanoScan is really unknown to me. How did you process Illustrator files? Did you have a link to Adobe Streamline to adjust the files as art?
Able to switch to Photoshop from the Canon software also, it seems? Canon has some remarkable software.

What is a girl to do?
Looks like you will enjoy your new Canon Scanner, LiDE 35 Flatbed Scanner, plus the $30 rebate. By the way, Canon scanners are some of the best in the world. We use a few of the high-end scanners at work in order to do batch scanning, processing, plus transparancy work. Nice scanners. Ours are 11"x17", some with vacuum frames. Older, but very good in the production room. Otherwise we all use individual scanners at our work station.
Claudia, tell me how the new Canon scanner works out for you running X. and your Photoshop CS.
I would like to purchase Photoshop CS except for KA-CHING! Out of funds right now! :?(

Have fun with your new Canon Scanner. Looks like you will be all set and have solved the problem by yourself. Cannon has some of the best out there. Their software is really impressive. Did the new scanner come with OCR (Optical Comparrison Reading Software?) I find that to be a big help, since I am a lousy typist. (Two Fingers only most of the time)

What?s a guy supossed to do? :?))
Kevin

Collapse -
more scanner fun

In reply to: Old Scanner

Kevin- I never had to do anything extra to open a scan in Illustrator. I'm an artist who scans in line drawings and full color illustrations and would just save a scanned file as a jpg , open it in Illustrator (or was it Photoshop?) and save for the web, before sending it on its way. That was all on my old Imac OS9

I just got an e mail from Staples saying my new scanner order was cancelled. No reason why. I'm trying not to take it personally. I still have the rebate form, so I'll be able to purchase one at a local Staples this weekend. I'll keep you posted on how it works

cheers,
C.

Collapse -
scanner

In reply to: Old scnner new scanner?

let me know if u like your new scanner..are you scanning film or art or combo? i was considering replacing the nikon coolscan, that i use (am photog)..best reviews i found were (for flatbeds/multi-platform ) for epson Pro series, but the studies had indicated that the film scans were really not as sharp as with high end film-only scanners.

BTW, i forgot to ask, initially, was your old cannon a SCSI device? That was the problem, according to nikon, with the compatibility of OSX.

Collapse -
SCSI

In reply to: scanner

Doubtful if the old scanner was a SCSI device. It was connected to the eMac which is USB/Firewire only for external devices.
Check out this site for slide/film scanners, I have read some good reviews about them.
http://www.scanace.com/en/index.php

P

Collapse -
SCSI

In reply to: SCSI

thanx P..i've accepted that i will be stuck scanning on the old G3 that i have..nikon, apple, and vuescan have all confirmed that my particular scanner is banished from OSX....at least i have that option..lucky, that i still have it because it was an expensive scanner, and i'm not anxious to replace it, until it goes kaput, or they come out with a great film/flatbed scanner..at least this way i'd be getting something more..getting documents & art scanned,as well as film..

Collapse -
Nikon Cool Scan

JCb, Does Nikon have any sort of sotware/driver update available for the Cool Scan to run in system X?
The original Cool Scan was a large out-of-pocket-expense as I recall.
If not, what does Nikon have to offer for System X? And, if they do, what is the price of a new Cool Scan?

I ask the question because I have thousands of 35mm transparencies that I really would like to scan. (I photograph flowers, daylilys etc. and have many large albums of 35mm slides.)
My present flatbed scanner is a fairly new HP4570C.
I have been too busy to even try out the transparancy adaptor yet. The adaptor holds 4 slides. At 4 slides per scan, taking a few minutes per scan x 1 thousand scans or so, I may finish all my scanning by 2006. Maybe!
Do you know of any transparency scanners that scan 24 at a time or that sort of thing? Or are we stuck scanning 1 or four at a time?
At work we have a slide holder that holds 6 slides, yet can only scan one at a time.
We also have a large 11"x17" Cannon production scanner with a trans. adaptor built in that runs across the flatbed area. This Canon scanner is a high-end production scanner that costs thousands of dollars. It is a three-pass-color scanner with a preview mode, which, in effect produces a two-scan process. High-End.
The trans. adaptors are in many sizes for 35mm, 2-1/4"x2/1/4", 4"x5" and 8"x10" ONE AT A TIME.

Do you think if I cut out of black board, cut-outs for 35mm slide holders that I could be able to scan 2 dozen slides at once? Right now, I think I might like to make an adaptor for the Canon, or is there anything out there on the market for adaptors that you know about?

What do you think a Service Bureau whould charge for a thousand slides to process? Megabucks?
Thanks,

Kevin

Collapse -
scanner

In reply to: Nikon Cool Scan

hi kevin
i do not purport to be an expert on scanners..initially, the scanner i selected was recommended by a few more experienced photographers.
there is no update for OSX for the nikon scanner that i have. the newer ones are compatible.. the coolscans are upwards of $1000.00.
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=98
for some of the scanners , you can get adaptors that permit roll (35mm) scanning, i don't believe that u will be able to scan high #s of chrome, at one time. plus, you can not scan art, only film.
so far, the best reviews, that i found for flatbed/film combo scanners, where u can scan multiple film/chrome, at a consumer price..(there may be better, but i have looked high & low and on other forums) appears to be the epson perfection 4870 pro. it was already released in the Uk, not sure if in the US, yet.i have never used it so i couldn't vouch for it, personally.
i would venture to guess that anyone providing all that scanning of would want o get as much money for the service,as they can, like anything else...
call & get an estimate, if it gets toward the cost of a scanner, why bother? i would look at the work they've done,in the past, too..to make sure whatever they use doesn't lose sharpness , from the originals..it gets sticky trying to apply unsharp mask from photoshop , or other programs, once u get the photo on your system. it's better to start with a sharp image to begin with.
maybe u can scan a little at a time at work, if you're not going to build additional stock of photos, then it won't cost u a thing..if u R going to continue to produce, then that could be a problem.
because i do photojournalism, i typically edit to a few photos, from a roll, at a time, and do it as i go along..so it doesn't become an overwhelming project.
i guess i haven't been very helpful.. try to google the heck out of high end film scanner reviews, or any other search engine.. i wish u good luck.

Collapse -
SCANNER

JCb,
You have been helpful, Thank you! I will check out the Epson 4870 Pro Scanner. Whatever we do, will be time-consuming in the end, I am sure.
I am still contemplating a self-made slide adaptor for 24 slides on an 11x17 Scanner. I love a challange.
I will tell you if I have success.
Have no fear, the Boy Scouts are Here! I hope.
I also take a lot of aspirin. Just kidding.
Good luck in your protojournalism. Thanks for responding.

Just off the forum, what is the weather like now, where are you from, England?
Kevin

Collapse -
CanoSCan Lide35 flatbed

In reply to: SCANNER

Well, kids, I am the proud owner of a bouncing baby scanner. It is a delight (as far as scanners go) I tried it this afternoon for the first time with my OSX (v10.3.5) Emac desktop. It comes with a graphics program / toolbox I didn't have before. I scanned in a line drawing and the line was clear, and I was able to drop in flat color, clean up the smudges, etc....... So far so good.

Collapse -
epson perfection pro

In reply to: SCANNER

kevin,
i believe that i mis-spoke, i think that the newest, better generation of the epson perfection pro is actually the 4990, (u know how these companies always upgrade). that is the one , i believe, available in the UK. it's been a little while since i looked this stuff up, when i thought i had no use of my old scanner. i am not from the UK. but, apparently, there are more photo enthusiasts remaining there, because i had difficulty finding sights, forums, in the US where photographers reviewed/discussed peripherals like scanners. they tend to have more sites dedicated to digital photo equipt., and scanners are more likely to be reviewed by computer magazines , etc, rather than by photogs, who would want higher dpi, clarity, etc. than the average bear..have fun scanning!

Collapse -
scan up to 50 slides at once

In reply to: Nikon Cool Scan

35mm slides: Slides with mounts 1.0-3.2mm thick, 49-50.8mm wide; optional Slide Feeder SF210 can be used to scan up to 50 slides with mounts 1.5mm thick This is from NIKON

Collapse -
50 Slides

In reply to: scan up to 50 slides at once

What is the cost on the Nikon Scanner and also the slide feeder?

Collapse -
nikon cool scan

In reply to: 50 Slides

the ED 5000 is about 900 dollars and not sure about the 50 slide adaptor a 100 or so. but you can see all the cool scans and the accesories at Nikon USA web site. also you need to have os 9 the site will show you the sys. requirements Happy Scanning!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.