Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

New router questions

by mike62 / December 15, 2008 2:55 AM PST

My current network is going on 3 years old. I use a D-Link router wireless G. I assume my security is WEP although I am not sure how to verify it. I know when I pull up available internet contacts a couple of neighbors say WPA and mine and others just say it is protected.

If I upgrade to get WPA or WPA2 hardware am I ok in getting the N or whatever the fastest is out there to plan for the future? I know my laptop has the slower speed and will only work for what it is capable of but will it still work with the faster routers?

Finally, will the replacement just be a simple hardwire changeout and installation of new software?

Thanks for any insight this was my first network and it was pretty much out of the box.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
My Dlink is over 3 years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: New router questions

And is loaned out a lot. It does WPA just fine. You may need nothing more than Dlink's latest firmware and the settings we supply in our forum sticky.
Bob

Collapse -
DLink
by mike62 / December 15, 2008 8:05 AM PST

Thanks Bob.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!