Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

New Router, cannot install

by rmdial / November 25, 2009 7:36 AM PST

PC, XP, SP3, ASUS MB w/onboard Marvell Yukon adapter, P3, 2 gig RAM, cable modem.

Bought a new D-Link DIR-655 Router when my netgear lost it's wireless function. Tried to install new router twice with install CD and once with help from D-Link tech support. Still no luck. When I install the Netgear again, connects to the internet immediately. I was able to take my laptop next to the router and got it to work via ethernet with help from tech support. It is an HP Pavillion w/Intel adapter.

I am thinking my on board adapter and the new router are having compatibility problems. Someone mentioned something about a speed setting. If I purchased a D-Link adapter and installed in PC, would it override the on board adapter and possibly work better?

Any suggetions? Thanks in advance.

Soapy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Router, cannot install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Router, cannot install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two questions and a suggestion
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2009 9:57 AM PST

Are you trying to install it while wired or wirelessly? If wireless, it really needs a wired connection to do the setup. As well, did you shut down and restart the modem? You need to do that or it won't connect with the router.

Collapse -
Two questions
by rmdial / November 25, 2009 1:18 PM PST

I have been doing everything wired for setup. Not even worrying about the wireless at this point.

Also, I have powered off the modem and router a couple of times during all of this. D-Link tech support had me do that.

What do you think of buying a D Link adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Another question first
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2009 7:06 PM PST
In reply to: Two questions

Troubleshooting isn't throwing possible solutions at the problem but using logic to rule out possible causes. You said you can't install using the CD but the CD should not be necessary at all. It's just a helper tool. Consider that to configure the router, you need to establish communication. Your old one works because it's given you an IP address within a needed range. The same needs to happen when you replace the router. Somewhere in your instructions, should be the default IP address of router that you will need to access its web interface. That IP address is your internet gateway. If the router is working and has given your PC an IP address, you can use ipconfig to find it and plug that into your browser to access the router. If you show no gateway and a bogus IP address (169.xxx) you need to find the router's address another way. That's sort of what the software on the CD is supposed to do but sometimes fails for any of a number of reasons. Look up the default IP address for that router and also look for how to reset it to defaults just in case. If you find the address, set up your PCs network interface manually. Give it a static IP address within the router's address. Example...If the default is 192.168.1.1, make your PC 192.168.1.2 and you'll be in range. Next, try to ping the router from Start/Run and type "command" (without quotes). Then type "ping <gateway address>" but don't use the arrows...just the numbers. You're looking to see if you get a successful return. If not, you'll get either a "device unreachable" or "reply timeout". Device unreachable usually means the networks don't match. Reply timeout means the network is valid but the device didn't respond. In any event, if you can ping the router successfully, you should now be able to use http://<gateway address> to reach its web interface from your browser. Good luck.

Collapse -
Problem solved
by rmdial / November 27, 2009 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: Another question first

Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful and, as always, I learned a little bit more each time I run into a problem and suggestions are offered.

I did use ipconfig and the router did not show up. I entered the router page ip address and still no luck. So I went back to my thought of the adapter and router not talking to each other since I had read of a like problem on another site. So I went into device manager and looked at the properties of the adapter and changed the speed setting from auto negotiate to 100 mbps full duplex and the two devices became connected. Tried again at 1000 with no response. So I changed it back to 100 and am able to connect to router page and internet.

Thanks again for you help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!