Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

new registry entries

by mko / November 15, 2005 5:08 PM PST

is there a way or an app that finds new registry entries. say,,,after i get off the internet and i want to see if there've been any changes to it.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new registry entries
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new registry entries
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I use...
by John.Wilkinson / November 15, 2005 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: new registry entries

Someone may know of a program that actively monitors registry changes, keeping a log, but I've been very happy with Elcomsoft's Advanced Registry Tracer. It allows you to create backups of your registry, which it compares. The results are made quite clear...it displays two columns (one for the previous and one for the current) that list every difference that exists. The results are then lined up so that if an extry used to exits, it's displayed in the left column, and there is a blank space in the right. If an entry has been modified, it will display the old value in the left column, and line it up with the new value in the right column. It costs $40, but there's a free trial (I think it was 2 weeks) so you can determine if it's worth it.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Wanted - Lost Listing of my installed programs
by LtCmdrWorf / November 20, 2005 11:30 AM PST
In reply to: What I use...

I did something to my new computer that resulted in most, if not all, of the non-microsoft programs vanishing from the ALL PROGRAMS list. They are all still on the computer and they all still work.

I can "pin" a program to the start menu but don't see how to get the list back.

Any ideas will be useful. I tried a system restore but it would not reset to an earlier date. I have Norton's Internet Security 2006 running and can't seem to turn it fully off, which I think is the problem with getting the restore to work.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Recreating the list....
by John.Wilkinson / November 20, 2005 11:54 AM PST

The list of programs in the start menu is simply a collection of shortcuts to programs that have been installed. Once a shortcut as been deleted your only chance is checking the recycle bin to see if it it there and can be restored. (If so, great! Right-click each one and select "restore.") If not, you're left with recreating the list. To do this:

* Go to the location of the program, right-click it, and select copy.
* Go to the directory "local drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs", right-click a blank part of the screen and select "paste shortcut."
* You can, of course, organize your shortcuts into folders as you like.
* If you want the shortcut to appear on every user's start menu->all programs, you can place it in "local drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs".

As far as System Restore not functioning, Norton shouldn't be affecting it, but then again, if Norton won't go down, it's possible. I'd suggest clicking here for a troubleshooting guide to System Restore, followed by here for a chat with Norton technical support.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
My Thanks John
by LtCmdrWorf / November 20, 2005 1:51 PM PST

John;

Thanks for the advice and the links to the other sites. This has helped a great deal. Now I just need to know what the heck I did to get rid of this stuff to begin with so I can learn not to do that again. My wife is now a happy camper and I'm now allowed back in the house.

Now I have to go and thank my wofe for showing me this website to start with. Sigh...

Collapse -
I hear that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2005 7:30 PM PST
In reply to: My Thanks John

Klingon wives are a bit er..... difficult to please?

You're a brave man/Klingon! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Klingon Wives...
by LtCmdrWorf / November 20, 2005 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: I hear that

are a bit, shall we say interesting ... besides she is of Noregian descent so there must be some of the Beserker Viking bloodline there as well...

Collapse -
That download
by LtCmdrWorf / November 20, 2005 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: What I use...

Thaks for the tip. I got the software and ran a scan as a baseline.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?