Computer Help forum

General discussion

New RAM and Slow PC Print Processing

by dmanyc / July 22, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

I have a Compaq Deskpro running Windows 2000 upgrade from NT and printing on a HP Deskjet 930c. As a graphic designer my computer used to be able to print very large graphics files quickly. In January I had CompUSA upgrade my RAM to 256MB and put in a FireWire card (so I could use my iPod). I am now having trouble with printing times. It takes three to four minutes for my computer to process my print request even from a one page MS Word document that I am using as a test print.

I don't know if the new RAM and the Firewire card are related to the printing problem, but these are the only things that have changed. Would anyone have any insight as to what could be slowing down my computer's processing of the print documents?

Also, my computer actually seems slower in general since I got the new RAM, which is not at all what I was expecting. Photoshop file processing is no different than before I got the extra RAM. The only difference is that now I can use my iPod.

Any thoughts would be helpfull...
vr63x@hotmail.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New RAM and Slow PC Print Processing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New RAM and Slow PC Print Processing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New RAM and Slow PC Print Processing
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 7:54 AM PDT

This is very odd. Are you sure that no PARASITE has crawled into the machine. And before you write "I have Norton." let me be clear that Norton doesn't deal with parasites. Here's why -> "It's not a virus."

The usual tools and a quick education are noted at http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

Also, any unused ethernet ports can be an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: New RAM and Slow PC Print Processing
by dmanyc / July 22, 2004 1:17 PM PDT

Ahhh! Thank you so much! Indeed I did have a parasite, and that link helped me clean it up and now my printing is just fine!

Do you know of anyway to check if the RAM is working properly?

Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it!

Doug

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.