HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

New programs won't open, old ones will.. help please

by TFerg123 / November 20, 2010 5:36 AM PST

Hi, I just installed a new program (DVD FAB Cool and everything seemed fine. When I click on the icon to run it, the cursor activity thingy (little blue spinning circle) shows up as if something is about to happen, then it disappears and nothing happens.

This happened to another program recently too (Ralink Wireless Control Center), so it's not just this current one.

Programs that have already been installed for a while, are working fine.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit, a very capable PC, and AVG free Antivirus (not windows security) is the only security running. That wasn't the case last week with other program though, I had uninstalled my AV to see if that was the issue... it wasn't).

I did install a new video card, that is the only change I made recently.

Any help ?

Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New programs won't open, old ones will.. help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New programs won't open, old ones will.. help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just fixed one like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 3:44 PM PST

Now this is only me sharing what happened to someone. They sadly got this app from some TORRENT and it included a "CRACK." The CRACK appears to be some trojan and in short the OS got dinged up. We had to boot up another OS from CD to save their files then restore the OS from a recent backup.

Painful lesson?
Bob

Collapse -
nothing happens
by PKsteven / November 20, 2010 6:23 PM PST

Oh, there is something happening alright, every time the busy cursor is circling and it won't be long before you find out.

Bob: You are dead on, all too many times I have run into this one from torrented apps, they try to run it, only the busy cursor runs, nothing "seemingly" happens. Yet.

Anyway, I have to get back to sanding that wooden horse.

Collapse -
Zzz...
by TFerg123 / November 20, 2010 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: nothing happens

Yeah, ok, cute, but since this isn't a torrented crack prog, any other guesses anyone ?

Hardly doubt Ralink, the supplier of Linksys chips & drivers is handing out trojans.

Collapse -
Yes, familiar with Trojans, but...
by TFerg123 / November 20, 2010 10:25 PM PST

both cases, legit software. Neither manufacturer can help, either, since it is obviously my PC at fault.

Thanks for replying though Bob.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.