Computer Help forum

General discussion

New Problem

For the last 3 days my pc has just up and stopped working for no apparent reason.Home page or site being viewed is displayed properly,cursor will move but nothing I click responds.Pc is dead in the water and I have to force shutdown and reboot and go through scandisk to restart.I get this same report in the scandisk log Microsoft ScanDisk

Log file generated at 03:56PM on Friday, November 26, 2004.

ScanDisk checked drive C for problems, with the following results:

Directory structure

Directory entry C:\WINDOWS\INTERN~1\TVDEBUG.LOG had an incorrect size.
ScanDisk successfully corrected the directory entry.

File allocation table

ScanDisk did not find any problems.

File system

There were 3 lost clusters in 2 chains.
ScanDisk reclaimed the lost clusters as free space.
I have tried google for answer but no help there.Does this ring any bells for anyone here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New Problem

In reply to: New Problem

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

==and==

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

4. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

P.S. At least your having mentioning home page, we know it's browser related but we cannot know which or version of it is.

Collapse -
Re: New Problem

In reply to: Re: New Problem

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and generally recognized by most "Gurus"

==and==

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems, and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.

Cowboy,I agree with all of the above but the problem is I was given no error message.my PC just stopped working and that was that.I then held in start button to shut it down and after restart I used Find function to locate scandisk error report and copied it in full and pasted in my original post.

I looked at the rest of your reply but not so sure it applies.I am grateful for your efforts.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ''Download'' the file and run it.

In reply to: Re: New Problem

Collapse -
Re: (NT) ''Download'' the file and run it.

In reply to: (NT) ''Download'' the file and run it.

Downloaded iefix yesterday and waitng for the outcome.
Thank's

Collapse -
Re: (NT) ''Download'' the file and run it.

In reply to: (NT) ''Download'' the file and run it.

Downloaded and ran iefix and still have the freeze problem.It is not specific to homepage.It happens randomly! I could be on homepage or reading mail or on a web page and there is NO ERROR MESSAGE DISPLAYED! It just locks up.I have updated and ran the following,
Spybot, AdAware SE, CW Shredder and stinger in safe mode and followed that with Housecall online scan and Panda online scan.I have zone alarm firewall and Norton AV.

I was thinking of running HJT but I haven't lost my homepage.
I use ie version 6

Collapse -
Lot of read - pick what applies.

In reply to: Re: (NT) ''Download'' the file and run it.

1. The article [Q175148] explains that when scrolling through IE Web pages or through mail headers or mail messages with OE, the computer may stop responding (hang) and can occur when using certain video cards. Method 2 and Method 3 could be appropriate for any type video adapter card or drives causing hangs. Use this procedure regardless to see if the anomaly is corrected.

2. The article [Q276393] provides information to help diagnose and resolve issues when an unrecoverable error -- also known as user-mode (fault or exception) message. Note: it is hightly suggested the steps outlined in this article be used and followed for each segment of troubleshooting.

a. Processes that run in user-mode do so in their virtual address spaces and do not have direct access to hardware or memory that was not allocated to them. Because user-mode processes are effectively isolated from the system and other user-mode processes, they do not interfere with these resources and therefore do not compromise the integrity of a system. For example, if a process tries to read or write to a memory location that has not been allocated to it, the result is an unrecoverable error (in this case, an exception). When these unrecoverable errors occur, the affected program or process must be closed to maintain the computer's integrity.

b. You must understand that most programs interact with other user-mode processes and may use add-on features that share another's memory space. In the case of IE, ActiveX Controls, Browser Helper Objects, tool bands, and other components can add custom functionality, such as additional toolbars, wallpaper or banner ads. These components run in the same memory space as the browser, and may generate faults or exceptions on IE or one of its components. Like most programs, IE also interacts with other parts of the computer. For example, the display driver, display hardware, and installed fonts to display Web pages; the printer driver and hardware to print Web pages; and other programs may also interact which these interactions with other software or services can also cause unrecoverable errors.

3. The article [Q275543] describes known issues that may cause an Invalid Page Fault error message. Note: This article provides an extensive list of known issues for troubleshooting.

4. The article [Q245729] explains that when a Web pages is browsed containing a very long "file://" address (URL) or Universal Naming Convention (UNC) string or you view an HTML e-mail message containing such a string, Windows may stop responding (hang) or an unexpected command may be run on your computer and this can be caused by a buffer overflow. Note: To resolve this issue, obtain and run one of the two mentoned patches outlined in this article.

5. Reduce the "Color Palette" setting in "Display" properties to 256 Color or from 32-bit color mode or lower.

6. The article [Q268113] explains that when using Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5, the computer may experience performance or hang-up issues which can occur if using McAfee VirusScan 4.02 or 4.03. These versions of McAfee VirusScan add an incorrect version of the Windows Imagehlp.dll file. To resolve this issue, first determine if the computer performance issues are related to McAfee VirusScan. If they are, consult this article for troubleshooting procedures.

7. The article [Q127022] states that in Windows you may experience many problems with sound file use that can be caused by a lack of support for 16-bit direct memory access (DMA) on a computer.

8. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Improve Browsing Performance in Internet Explorer (Q153790)."
Note: Disabling: "Show Pictures (prevents pictures from appearing automatically)", "Play Sounds (prevents sounds from being played automatically)", "Play Videos (prevents videos from being played automatically)", and "Play Animations (prevents animations from being played automatically)". Does the anomaly disappear?

b. "How to Remove an ActiveX Control in Windows (Q154850)."
Note: If ActiveX control appears in the Add/Remove Programs, uninstall. You can certainly always reinstall should you find the need.

c. "How to Add and Remove Internet Explorer Components (Q171229)."

d. "Internet Explorer Cannot Open the Internet Site... (Q175172)."

e. "Error Message Scrolling Through Web Page Frame with Wheel (Q194359)."
Note: There is one link providing access to many articles covering errors received in IE.

f. "Internet Explorer Appears to Stop Responding When Started (Q220902)."
Note: If a Web connection is Dial-Up Networking only, disable "Automatically detect settings".

g. "Error Message Typing Address in Address Box or in Open Box (Q221085)."
Note: Perhaps "History Caching - AutoComplete" is a problem. Disable, delete "History Folder" and test for whether the anomaly continues.

h. "How to Restore the Background Bitmap on the Internet Explorer Toolbars (Q224457)."
Note: Restore the default background for the "Internet Explorer toolbars" if the background has been changed by your Internet content provider (ICP), Internet service provider (ISP), or the Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK).

i. "How to Disable Internet Explorer Password Caching (Q229940)."
Note: Turn off "Password Caching". Does the anomaly disappear?

j. "Windows 98 Hangs with Systray.exe Loading (Q259744)."
Note: This articles suggest changing the registry value from 8 to 7. My registry for Win98FE has 6.

k. "General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (Q263218)."
Note: Typically, if you plug a malfunctioning or incorrectly-configured device into a USB port, it causes the computer to stop responding (hang).

l. "How to Troubleshoot Script Errors in Internet Explorer (Q308260)."
Note: Remove all the superfluous junk: "Smooth Scrolling", "Show Window Contents While Dragging", "Reduce the Number of Colors", "Screen Area", "Hardware Acceleration", and/or "Active Desktop".

Collapse -
Fish with Fat.

I see a simple issue with that. Actually it's not an issue. Here's why.

TVDEBUG.LOG is usually a log from a popular firewall. The lost clusters is typical for users of the old FAT (FAT32) file system.

You can stop this by moving to NTFS if your OS allows such. But this is YOUR CHOICE TO MAKE!

In closing, this is not the cause of the lockup.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Fish with Fat.

In reply to: Fish with Fat.

Thank's for the info Bob.

Collapse -
Fish, Just a Thought...

Have you tried swapping in a different mouse? The symptoms you presented could be mouse related.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.