PC Hardware forum

Question

New power supply not working

by morph89 / April 15, 2012 9:28 AM PDT

My gaming pc stop functioning around july of '11, and hitting the power button caused fans and case lights to come on for about a second then immediately shutting off. Prior to this my internet browser (firefox at the time) was running slow and having weird issues where i couldn't read any text on the favorites drop down and it'd be all white, not being completely tech savvy i thought maybe a ram issue but alas my pc stopped powering on and i took it to my local pc repair shop. He told me that my power supply was dead and sent me right back out the door, so I picked up a new power supply around xmas time when i got money and tried installing it but the same issue, would power on for a split second then give me error codes on the mobo and not let me power on again until i reset the psu. I'm not really sure if the issue truly was the psu in the first place, or if its just the psu and maybe the new one i got is too low wattage, but I'd be grateful for some insight into this if anyone has any. Kinda broke so fingers crossed just a new psu will be the fix Silly thanks in advance for any help. PS sorry if I ramble on ><

SPECS:
HDD: Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CPU COOLER: ASUS Silent Square EVO 92mm Vapo Bearing CPU Cooler

MOBO: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Allendale 2.4GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E4600

GPU: XFX Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

(OLD PSU) OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

(NEW PSU) Raidmax RX-530SS 530W

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New power supply not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New power supply not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I see that 8800 video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 9:35 AM PDT

Did you try it without the video card?

Collapse -
Tried suggestion
by morph89 / April 15, 2012 11:29 PM PDT

Same thing happens when I disconnected the video card except with a high pitched beep/squeal.

Collapse -
Lowest denominator
by Willy / April 16, 2012 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried suggestion

If all you did simply disconnect the video card with no other action, you will create an "error status" for the bios which reacts with a squeal and/or beep code. What you need to do is replace the video card with any other if possible. -OR- if you have on-board video re-activate it through the bios if you can.

What happens when a situation as yours occurs is to replace the PSU to hopefully resolve it as typical PSU issues are at fault. However, if the PSU may have taken down as it failed, there also the situation something else could also be at fault or become flaky or wonky. Power issues are hard to pinpoint as they are so basic and include everything. Thus, I suggest you reduce the PC to the most basic system it can be, disconnect non-needed devices, etc. just to see if it even remains ON but not necessarily bootable. Please do this, make basic system.

FYI- 8800 and 8600 based chipsets are video cards with known issues, so its possible on top of everything else it's part of the problem or multiple one.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
That's a good sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried suggestion

That's a good sign you may have found the cause as it is no longer "immediately shutting off. "

The 8800 card didn't have a known issue but are now failing as they are in mid-life span. Some folk think this is a design flaw.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.