HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

New Plishing

by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 4:52 AM PDT

I'm not sure how new this is but I've only been seeing them for last few days and I also don't know if I spelled Plishing correctly ot not. LOL Anyway, I've seen quite a few e-mails saying they are a CNET Virus Alert and offer a Free Scan with a link saying such but obviously, the link, if you hold your mouse over it is for a website called killadware which I'm sure is bogus. It's a very poorly done attempt at plishing and the e-mail is obviously NOT from CNET but I just wanted people to be aware that these e-mails are around and PLEASE, don't click on anything and just delete them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Plishing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Plishing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New Plishing
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: New Plishing

Nice one roddy. These people are getting more inventive.

Now I thought it was phishing!! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: New Plishing

I thought I spelled it wrong and I'll probably do it again too Mark. I have trouble with that word for some reason, it just doesn't look right to me LOL. Anyway, since I made that post, I got 2 more but this time they said they were from Norton but it was the same company.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / October 29, 2004 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: New Plishing

Thanks for the info roddy..Its 'Phishing'..but i sure knew what you meant,,thats the one that gave me grief for several days and i kept spelling it wrong also..Silly word!

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 9:24 PM PDT

Welcome back Sumer from wherever you have been for a couple of days. I think I should put that word on one of my million Post-its that I have sticking to my monitor so I can remember how to spell it. LOL

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 11:21 PM PDT

My own problem word is "install".

It keeps coming out as "isntall".

Mark

I might raise this in the SpeakEasy forum, see who else has problem words, Happy

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 29, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

I have trouble with "broccoli" too. I eat a lot of vegetables because of health problems and I always have to look that word up in the dictionary. I never can remember if it's 2 "C"s or 2 "L"s. not that it really matters though. LOL I'm glad to see Sumer back, I was getting worried, I though she had finally decided to install SP2 and her machine ate her. Mischief

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / October 30, 2004 1:12 AM PDT

Thanks for the welcome back roddy and Good morning to you..Been "fishing"..Caught one catfish worth telling about 9lbs.2oz..but..you should have seen the one that GOT AWAY! lol was HUGE,about 60lbs.broke my line, my wrist and the dang thing pulled me off the pier,,bout drowned lol (couldnt resist) *smiles*
Im hoping that 'plishing' thing will soon just be a word of the past.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 1:31 AM PDT

Hi Sumer. I have had fish get away from me that size too. *S*. The one you actually caught sounds like the same size as the ones in Lee Koo's picture on Wayne's site. LOL I'm afraid to say that "plishing" is probably here to stay, the same as spam and ad/spyware though. If not,then something else will come along. I very seldom click on a link in an e-mail anymore unless I know it's a legit one for sure.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / October 30, 2004 2:10 AM PDT

My Papa always told me,what really makes a good 'fisherman' is not so much in the fish you catch..its in the 'stories' told of the ones that 'got away'..after saying that: Papa was really a "GREAT" Fisherman.lol.
Dont get a lot of emails but I dont open 'links' either,unless i know..Saw the picture of Lee and his fish,nice..Fried my 'catfish' for breakfast this morning.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 2:35 AM PDT

I lived on a lake in Connecticut for almost 30 years after I got out the service but had to move to Kansas with friends almost 4 years ago for health reasons. I MISS those catfish breakfasts I used to have LOL. I think our friendly Moderators are going to get upset with us for mixing "fishing" and "plishing" LOL. Mischief

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / October 30, 2004 3:29 AM PDT

Naw, just a little "Fishing and Plishing and Phishing" among friends.lol I'll invite them to my next Catfish breakfast..That'll work!
Beach is just across the road and a small but well stocked pond is on my farm..Bet living on that Lake was nice..Guess I best stop rambling on and let you get back to the "plishing" topic.
; (

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 3:41 AM PDT

Noone has tried to "plish" me yet today, nor have I been "fishing" today so I am just watching my Nascar Busch race and playing on the computer. LOL

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / October 30, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

No one has tried to "plish,phish" me today either.. but was such a beautiful day decided to dig some worms and head over to the beach for a hour or so of "fishing" ; ) no sooner had i dressed,fixed theromos of coffee,the sun went under,the thunder rolled and started to rain..its ok though i like the rain.. will hang around here ... play some cards at the Zone..(i made up with MSGaming Zone) lol. I know how to control those "cookies" etc. better now.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 5:49 AM PDT

Yes, it's good to get along with cookies. Not ALL of them are bad. Some are harmless and some are also useful. I'd hate to have to sign into everything all the time. LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.