TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

new plasmas vs. LCD vs. DLP

by RickInMA / June 18, 2005 1:47 AM PDT

I can't believe that after all this time (more than 6 months) researching HDTV's I'm no further along than when I started...

Was hoping to throw out a few thoughts - perhaps someone else was in a similar situation and actually made a decision...

Originally, a friend bought a Panny LCD projection, and HD was incredible...but I didn't care for the SDE on SD TV, so that was out...

DLP was attractive- and I really liked the Sammy 4674, but my wife didn't like it (still not sure why...)

She then commented how great the flat panels looked...

Originally I had discounted Plasma because of the negatives people say about them and thought LCD was the way to go...I especially like that the newer LCDs will offer 1080 lines... but the price quickly becomes ridiculous.

My viewing distance will only be about 8 feet

I think now that plasma may be the way to go for me. - I hope to use it with a PC a little bit, and eventually would like to buy a playstation or Xbox, but probably wouldn't play it that much...Comcast offers a fair amount of HD channels here so we'll primarily watch TV in HD.

I read somewhere that the latest generation of plasmas are about as prone to burn-in as current CRTs (basically that it really isn't an issue unless you abuse it..)

I think now I'm between that Panny TH42PX50U and the Sammy HPR4252.

Anyone else been down this road?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new plasmas vs. LCD vs. DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new plasmas vs. LCD vs. DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
problem solved I THINK
by stewart norrie / June 18, 2005 3:38 AM PDT

i JUST BOUGHT A sONY kp-65WX600 65" HI-DEF T.V. ITS THE OLD STYLE 3 GUN REAR PROJECT SET, BUT i ONLY PAID $2500 FOR IT , THE PICTURE IS AS GOOD AS THE L.C.D DLP AND PLASMA SETS, AND THE BLACK LEVEL IS GREAT WHAT I DID WAS AFTER 3 MONTHS I HAD THE SET CALABRATED UNDER WARRENTY AND THE ONLY DRAWBACK IS THAT IT WEIGHS A LOT BUT WHO CARES. ALSO YOU WILL NEED THE DISH NETWORK 811 HI-DEF BOX AND MAKE SURE YOU USE THE D.V.I. INTERFACE CABLE DONT USE THE COMPONIT VIDIO CABLES THAT COME WITH THE 811 THAT CABLE COST ME $100.00 BUT THE PICTURE IS STUNNING ALSO GET THE HI-DEF PACKAGE $10.00 PER MONTH ALSO I JUST GOT VOOM FOR $5.OO MORE WELL WORTH IT GOOD LUCK PLEASE RESPOND STEWART NORRIE

Collapse -
LCD, DLP, Plasma, CRT, SED, OLED and projectors...which one?
by slmosqueda / June 18, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

Hello,

I have been in the same boat both for myself and my customers. Here is what I have concluded.

LCD and Plasmas both have issues with reproducing darks and whites. LCD has an issue with fast motion and has a little drag. I have not been all that impressed with the viewing angles of these two. However, I like the thickness of them and the ability to mount them almost anywhere.

DLP outperforms LCD on contrast and picture detail. DLP is certainly a very good choice over LCD and Plasma.

I prefer (and advise my clients)to use front projection units utilizing DLP technology for screens larger than 60 inches, but in order to watch it in any lighting condition requires the use of the new "Black Screen Technology" from Sony and other manufacturers. The Black Screen is a screen with special properties to reflect colors and whites while allowing the screen to create the blacks and greys in the projected image.

That said, I personally like the vibrant, detailed picture of the CRT which is able to be viewed in any light condition and from any angle. But unfortunetly the old CRT's just don't have the screen sizes I am interested in without breaking my back to lift. So that leaves me with the newest technology created by Canon and Toshiba. "Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display" or SED for short uses the CRT technology but has greatly reduced the overall size and weight to just slightly larger than the flat panels of today. The SED's provide superior picture quality to the LCD and Plasma's with very few drawbacks. Bright detailed pictures viewable from any angle and in the screen sizes we require makes this contender "almost" the leader of the pack.

However, there is one more technology worth watching that will ultimately put all of these technologies to rest. It is called OLED. Or "Organic Light Emitting Devices". These displays will eventually be any size you want and is Saran wrap thin. It will provide High Definition images viewable from any angle and in any lighting condition. The OLED display is currently being used in helmet visors for our troops providing computer readouts on the visor itself. It is also being used in vehicle front windshields providing nightvision and other analytical tools to aid drivers in driving at night. Anyway, the applications for this new technology are limitless and worth watching. While it is not available right now for the home theater, it is coming. For more information on the OLED, check out http://www.universaldisplay.com/

To sum up, I would go with DLP over Plasma and LCD any day. Better yet, I would just wait till the SED's come out this year.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Shawn Mosqueda
WireSmart LLC.
www.wiresmart.com
shawn@wiresmart.com

How To Build a Home Theater PC ebook coming soon! visit www.wiresmart.com for more details.

Collapse -
problem solved I THINK
by stewart norrie / June 23, 2005 6:55 AM PDT

I just bought a Sony kp-65wv600 65" 16x9 hi def tv and the picture looks more natural than the plasma sets at half the price $2500 Also Iam about 7" from the screen and the picture is theater quality actually you can stick your nose against the screen and it stilpl looks good and the black level is woundeful and on top of that If you ever have to replace a tibe there only $200 each if your plasma poops out you may as well throw it in the garbage can but whatever set you buy make sure you use a d.v.i. interface cable from your d.v.d player and hi-def tuner and if you only have 1 d.v.i input on your t.v. you can buy a giffen d.v.i switcher then you will be in hi-def heven please reply I just joined this chat group would like to hear from you look for stewart norrie and post a reply or cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
Stewart Norrie...
by emileg / June 23, 2005 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: problem solved I THINK

We realize that you are new to the forum. Most of us tend to peruse most of the posts on this forum. In doing so, we notice that you tend to post almost the same replies to many different inquiries. It may be that on occassion one can make the same response to more than one posting since the answer may be very relevant. However, just today you posted 5 almost identical replies, which are duplicates of many other postings on previous days. By making repetitive postings, your content is likely to get ignored. By making your replies more relevant and personalized to the questions asked, people are more likely to take notice. Also, by using proper punctuation and capitalization, people will also know when one sentence ends and the other begins, thus making both for clearer and easier reading.

I hope you take feedback in the constructive manner in which it is intended.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!