TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New Pioneer PDP-5080HD

by kcfvegas / June 7, 2007 3:33 PM PDT

Has anyone seen anything on the release date of the new Pioneer PDP-5080HD plasma. I've seen that they are shipping this month, but I can't find anything on a specific date. Are there any Best Buy employees that have a date when BB will be carrying it? With 80% deeper blacks than last year, I want to see this before I buy any other TV.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Pioneer PDP-5080HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Pioneer PDP-5080HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
THE PIONEER PDP-5080HD, I CAN'T GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER......
by Riverledge / June 7, 2007 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: New Pioneer PDP-5080HD

FROM ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE IN THE KNOW........... Orders being accepted, now. Whatever; with all its great pre-release press crap; has anyone realized that it remains a 720p/1080i set!!!

The PDP-5080 will convert 1080p to a viewable 1080i.

The PRICE TAG IS AT LEAST $3,500.00, way over-priced.

The NEW PANASONIC TH-50PZ700U costs about the same, and is TRUE HDTV @ 1080p.

My thoughts: overpriced PIONEER, BARGAIN UP-SCALE PANASONIC!!!!!!!!!!!

Best bitching,
River.

Collapse -
dear Riverledge
by jostenmeat / June 7, 2007 5:32 PM PDT

I hear what you are saying, but specs are still specs, right? There must be good reason for Pioneer's rep. Ok, perhaps name-brand inflation, maybe to a certain degree, but, gotta see to know, no?

Some speakers with a more limited freq range sound 10x better than those with a greater range. Some 720p/786p tv's look better than some 1080p tv's. Some 75w amps play louder than some 150w amps. I dunno, you get my drift. At least that unit does a 1080i, besides 720p. Maybe better features, color accuracy, connectivity, etc? Otoh, if resolution is of most importance, decision is easy I guess...

In the spirit of Stewee, what are ya gonna feed the new unit? Happy

Collapse -
FEED IT? TRISCUITS & WHEAT THINS, OF COURSE.............
by Riverledge / June 7, 2007 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: dear Riverledge

Don't want it to lose that SLIM wall-hanging figure.

Comcast by default, historic building....no DISHes allowed.

Adios,
Miguelito.

Collapse -
My thoughts
by hasnainzia / June 8, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

You are paying too much attention to the specs. It is the picture quality that matters and that is one thing that you can only see for yourself. If PDP-5080HD 720p set is $3500 compared to a Panasonic 1080p set then let me please tell you that PDP-5080HD will probably be a better TV overall then the panasonic 50" 1080p. I say this because Pioneer has better processing unit inside the TV. You should also know that if you sit 6 ft or farther from your 1080p or 720p then you are not going to notice any difference as I couldn't either in Best Buy. CNET also acknowledged this fact. My suggestion is to go for better colors and internal processing then just following the specs.

Collapse -
You're wrong on the price
by ottomatic / June 11, 2007 9:57 AM PDT

$2495
PlasmaConcepts dot com

Knock another $100 off if you are an avsforum member.

Collapse -
EVERY SITE THAT PLANS TO INTRODUCE THE PDP-5080HD...........
by Riverledge / June 11, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

ON 06/24/07, PLANS SELLING IT FOR $3,499. YES $3,500 bucks. PLEASE CHECK your sources. The PDP-5070 is still selling for nearly $2,400.00. SORRY, YOU'RE NOT TOO WELL INFORMED.

RIVERLEDGE.

Collapse -
NO, YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT THE PRICE. BBY SAYS $3,499.95.
by Riverledge / June 11, 2007 10:51 AM PDT

RIVER.

Collapse -
did you even go to the site?
by ottomatic / June 12, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

they are indeed selling it for the price I indicated.
-oTTo-

Collapse -
PDP-5080
by mrmuckle / June 15, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

I saw the PDP-5080 at a dealer show next to the PZ700 and the 768 Pioneer KILLED the 1080P Panasonic.

Collapse -
pioneer pdp5080 outpeformed da panasonicTH-58pz700u n PQpics
by gus738 / June 20, 2007 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: PDP-5080
Collapse -
PDP-5080HD
by ns387241 / June 24, 2007 4:04 PM PDT

My name is Nick S. I work at the Best Buy in Albany, NY. For the past month and a half, people have been asking me about the new 1080p Panasonic 700series plasma. I have shown it to customer after customer, however they all seem to be disappointed by the Panasonic's 5000:1 Contrast Ratio. This makes the TV seem very dark and dull in scenes that should be bright and colorful. The Pioneer PDP-5070HD (yes, the older model) not only blew away the Panasonic in every aspect (including price, at the time), but it too would accept a 1080p/24hz signal and show an IMPROVEMENT over 720p due to its Deep Cell Encasement construction. Today, our store received a PDP-5080HD (the new 768p model). I demanded we plug it in next to the 700series Panasonic and up to our Samsung BluRay Disc Player. After watching a few hours of video streaming on both televisions, I must say that contrast ratio has much to do with the picture quality you see, but also there is no beating the ones who invented the plasma screen in the first place (Pioneer, that is). Not only did the Pioneer "outclass" the Panasonic in every way, but when the Pioneer offers their fresh project kuro enhancements to an already 25,000:1 contrast display (on the PDP-5070HD) to make thew 5080 more like 40,000:1 contrast, there is no comparison. We sell many Plasmas at our store, but the Pioneer persists to be the best. should you be looking for something a tad less expensive (yes, the Panasonic is the same price as the Pioneer, so that's a no-brainer) the Samsung HPT-5054 would be the next best picture to go with. Not only does the Samsung make the Panasinocs in its class look dull, but it is less expensive and offers anti-retention (image 'burn') technology (yes, Pioneer has that too). Bottom line: The only thing that will trump the PDP-5080HD will be a Pioneer Elite or the new 1080p version of the 5080 coming late September. Case CLOSED!

Collapse -
thanks for your comment
by gus738 / June 24, 2007 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: PDP-5080HD

thanks for your comment regarding the tv and yes i think pioneer is the best out there now so i can respectly say that they did achive what they claimed this year

Collapse -
new PDP-5080HD versus old Elite PRO-1140?
by mtntrance / June 25, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

How does the new Pioneer PDP-5080HD compare to the current or old Pioneer Elite PRO-1140?

Collapse -
Compare
by ns387241 / June 25, 2007 2:57 PM PDT

In the first place, the main difference between the Pio PDP series and the Elite series (aside from styling) is ISF calibration on the Elites. Second, the real comparison here is with the PDP-5070HD, which it blows away. Having that said, it would be somewhat intersting to compare...allright, i'll entertain it.
The 5080 will have better contrast, but the 1140 will have more accurate color. They are both similar in styling cues, so nevermind that. I'd put them at a tie. Now, in September when the new Elite PRO-1150HD comes in, there will be again no question: The elite wins there. But I would still be more tempted to go with the Elite for 2 reasons. 1 is pride of ownership. everybody has a Pioneer, but how many of them have an Elite? 2 is the pro adjustments, which although I cannot appreciate wholly (deteriorating vision), I will adjust to the best of my ability nonetheless.

Collapse -
Thanks Nick
by mtntrance / June 25, 2007 3:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Compare

Very helpful. I went to my local BB after I posted and they hadn't installed their one 5080 yet. Even when they do I wonder if the light will be low enough where they disp[ly it to appreciate the blacl levels. The guys on th AV forum are ranting and raving about the black levels on the 5080. Like blowing out of proportion the difference of 768p compared to 1080p, maybe the 5080 has more hype at the moment. I am seduced by the Elite lable and would attempt to make my own calibrations. At this point both the 5080 and the 1140 are at the same price point.

Collapse -
Could you compare the Pioneer PDP 5080 with the PRO FHD1?
by infoquest / December 15, 2007 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Compare

I narrowed my options to these two models. The PRO FHD1 is about $400.00 more than the Kuro PDP 5080 at a local store. Are there advantages/advancements in the Kuro PDP 5080 which make it a better choice at this point than the PRO FHD1? From what I have read it seems that the PRO FHD1 also has better color accuracy than the Kuro PDP 5080 but the Kuro model may do a better job with black levels. I'm looking for my first plasma and would greatly appreciate your input.

Collapse -
PDP_5080
by thirdstone / September 25, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

Great information. Now, when is that new PDP-5080 1080p coming out??
This is one I want to see.

Collapse -
Panny
by bevillan / June 8, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

I'd save some money and get the new Panasonic with 1080p support.

Collapse -
ACKNOLEDGED....... THANX
by Riverledge / June 8, 2007 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Panny

RIVER.

Collapse -
You made the decision!
by hasnainzia / June 8, 2007 4:31 PM PDT

Although pionner makes the best plasma manufacturer, panasonic offers some of the best plasmas at very competitive prices. If you prefer 1080p over 720p and sit less than 7 feet from your TV then you have made the right decision. Although TV channels will not be broadcasted in 1080p for many years to come (maybe 5 to 10 years) due to the limited bandwidth used by most of the cable companies. No major network has yet announced any 1080p broadcast this is because they know there is hardly any difference between 720p and 1080p when most of the viewers sit at an average distance of 10 feet from their TV anyways.

One benefit that you are more likely to enjoy with your 1080p panasonic would be to watch 1080p HD movies from you HD player (HD DVD or Blu ray). SO if you watch a lot of movies or just want to buy the TV with best specs available, then you made a good decision.

Good Luck with your 1080p Panasonic! Please stay in touch if you ever want to discuss anything related to home theatre.

Hasnain Zia
hasnainzia@sbcglobal.net

Collapse -
exactly no 1080p support
by gus738 / June 24, 2007 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: You made the decision!

exactly theirs no 1080p support so if PQ is questioned over full hd then by god PQ is the important role here

Collapse -
what good is a 1080p res if the PQ is the important factor?
by gus738 / June 24, 2007 9:09 PM PDT

what good is the 1080p res if the PQ (picture quality) looks like crap compared to the PDP-5080? another point is theirs hardly any support for 1080p such as PS3/xbox360 and blueray disc/hd dvd

and thats it nothing else is being made in 1080p and i didnt mentioned satelite or cable service because its 1080i not 1080p so i think the 1080p thing is a future thing

Collapse -
BB 6/24/07
by ottomatic / June 11, 2007 9:50 AM PDT

Order online today.
Arrives in retail stores 6/24/07.

Collapse -
Best price in mid-June
by snovi28 / June 14, 2007 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: BB 6/24/07

Hi, ottomatic!

How much did you pay for your PDP-5080HD? I'm ready to order but the best I coud find so far is ~$2,650 (incl. S/H). Which I believe is too much, even for a new model. Did you get a better price (including delivery) from an Authorized Dealer? If yes, where?!

Collapse -
Visual Apex
by zax100101 / June 19, 2007 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Best price in mid-June

Visual apex has the 5080hd for a pre-order price of $2620.00 to North panhandle of Texas (including shipping). Seems to be a well respected site as well. I am more worried about the seller than the tv. They are also Pioneer authorized. Hope this helps some.

Collapse -
Can't get any better than visual apex, which is in the same
by NM_Bill / June 19, 2007 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Visual Apex

league as Vann's, Crutchfield & B&H Photo.

Collapse -
price
by ottomatic / June 19, 2007 8:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Invision is great.
by mongoos150 / June 24, 2007 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: price

You have nothing to worry about with Invision, have you read AVSforum.com? A huge community of A/V enthusists. Invision Displays is one of the most respected online retailers of big-ticket displays around, ask for Roman. He'll take care of ya. (No I don't work for them! Just know they are a trusted company you can trust).

Collapse -
plasma concept has it for
by gus738 / June 24, 2007 9:14 PM PDT

hey bud go to avs.com join for free but making an account makes you liable for $100 dollars off! and you can have fun in avs.com

well once you join click on the fourm sponsers like plasmas concept
they sell it at $2,495 but with avs discount its $2,395!!! best deal online oh and DONT forget the extended warranty, theirs 2 types fianly msg me on avs.com if you need help my DS over there is gus738

Collapse -
Pioneer plasma
by techgal21 / June 17, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

The Pioneer plasma tv's have one of the best or the best picture quality out there. If pq is you first concern and you are willing to spend the money, go with the Pioneer. I have compared the specs with the 5070HD and everything seems to be the same except for the viewing angle.
Also check online for Pioneer's list of authorized online dealers. If something goes wrong with you TV, most online dealers refer you to Pioneer and they won't touch it if it's not from an authorized dealer.
Of course, there are 3rd party extended warranties, but I have not used them.
Keep watching beachcamera.com. The panny 50px75 is under $1700 shipped. They are also an authorized Pioneer dealer and if you want to play the waiting game, I am sure will we see the price going down.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?