General discussion

New Phone (New Carrier?)

I have been with Sprint for over 3 years. I have a basic flip-phone. It has the basics.
I am an Over-The-Road Truck Driver and depend on my phone to stay in touch with family. We have two phones and I have a wireless device for my laptop when I am on the road. We switched from T-Mobile because of too many 'dead spots'.
I am looking at getting a new phone. I would like one that allows me to use the internet, take pictures & video, watch movies, listen to music. It also must have some sort of GPS Navigation. I use this extensively in my job to find customers. Nation-wide coverage is a must!
I am currently eligible for an up-grade with Sprint. I can get the new EVO for practically nothing...but I'm not sure if it will provide all I want.
I don't know if I should stay with Sprint or switch carriers...and I have NO IDEA which phones would siut my needs.
I really need help. THX!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New Phone (New Carrier?)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Phone (New Carrier?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Shop by coverage/features first, then choose a handset

If you are satisfied with your current coverage/service with Sprint, then why consider changing carriers? By all means go into a physical store and test the heck out of any prospective device you plan on using as an upgrade.

That said, I believe you could do just fine with the EVO, although it's certainly not the only device that would work for what you've indicated you need. Sprint also offers the Samsung Epic and Instinct HD that might work too. I am a little surprised though that you don't already have a standalone GPS unit already in your truck, since those are going to provide perhaps the best GPS service being a dedicated device. Also, why not utilize the laptop for watching movies since the screen size is better and you already have it in the truck, I presume(?) Wink

- Collapse -
hello

I am tired of postpaid plans that is why I switch to prepaid plan. You might want to try prepaid plan. If you are to continue your stay with sprint that is also ok but you are lock with them for several years. Here check this out www.intouchsmartcards.com
I hope it might help. Thanks.

- Collapse -
2 4 U

You sound like a must have Verizon person for voice. Sprint will roam onto Verizon's network, but not in all cases and Sprint wants you to limit your roaming to no more than 50% of your allotted minutes, so you may be a candidate for a Basic Verizon phone with unlimited minutes and a data device from Sprint or Tmobile. Or do everything from Verizon and deal with the sluggish (compared to other carriers) data performance.

CNET Forums

Forum Info