HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

Resolved Question

New PC is slower than old PC

by pajamageek / February 22, 2014 9:55 PM PST

Built computer with what I thought were a better motherboard, CPU, & RAM and upgraded Windows 7 to 8.1. My new computer boots fast, runs fine and seemed ok until I benchmarked its performance with 3DMark - and found out I was getting significantly less FPS and 3DMark scores than my old setup.

Old Computer
-------------------
Motherboard - Alienware 046MHW, Intel P67, 1155
CPU - Intel i7-2600, 3.4GHz
GPU - GeForce GTX 760
OS HD - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
RAM - 16GB Hyundai Electronics 1333MHz
PSU - 875 Watt Dell Power Supply
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

New Computer
--------------------
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87-DS3H, ATX 1150
CPU - Intel i7-4770K, 3.5GHz
GPU - GeForce GTX 760
OS HD - 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz
PSU - 850 Watt XFX P1-850B-BFX
OS - Windows 8.1

I got virtually no improvement in FPS or score when running Fire Strike Benchmark in 3D Mark when I made the following adjustments:

1. Set NVIDIA Control Panel to max performance instead of quality.
2. Changed Windows settings to best performance rather than appearance.
3. Minimized the number of start-up programs.
4. Optimized SSD performance with Samsung Magician software.

Any help or advice in trying to figure what's wrong with my new configuration and/or components would be appreciated. Thank you.

pajamageek has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC is slower than old PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC is slower than old PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by pajamageek

Collapse -
Seems right. Did you read this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 11:20 PM PST

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

The change of OS and drivers mean it may take awhile to approach or pass up the old PC. But given the hardware changes alone I would not expect higher numbers in the benchmarks you noted.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the link and info
by pajamageek / February 23, 2014 12:58 AM PST

I had not read that article you pointed out. If I would have seen that article I probably would have made a different purchase decision and saved some money. I guess I thought an i7-4700 upgrade from i7-2600 in and of itself would increase my computer gaming performance. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.