HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New PC getting IE error message constantly.....please help

by rreiland / May 12, 2006 10:08 PM PDT

I just purchased a new PC days ago. I work from home currently and this PC will be used primarily for work. Whenever I connect to Internet and try to access my company's network to log into their site, I always get the following error message:

iexplore.exe-Application Error
The instruction at "0x6x725064" referenced memory at "0xcb197f68". The memory could not be "written."

Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program

Clicking neither OK nor Cancel does anything to solve this problem and make me able to log into the site I need to. Other sites on the new PC appear to load with no problem, so far at least. It must be something with this new PC because my much older PC which I used to use for work can access this site with no problem. I have both Spy Sweeper and PC-Cillin installed on the new PC too.

I would appreciate any input anyone would have. It is so frustrating to not be able to get into this site which is essential to me being able to work from home. Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC getting IE error message constantly.....please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC getting IE error message constantly.....please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by Darton Fury / May 13, 2006 3:50 AM PDT

connecting to Internet, opening a command prompt and typing, ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Then try to access the site again.

Collapse -
Follow up clarification
by rreiland / May 13, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

Excuse my ignorance but what will typing that command do? Also, when you say open a command prompt and typing that in, do you mean typing it in the Address bar? That may seem like a dumb question but I honestly don't know.

Collapse -
One answer
by steve749 / May 13, 2006 5:44 AM PDT

It will purge the cached DNS entries which may be the problem. DNS is the system by which domain names are resolved to IPs, e.g. reviews.cnet.com is at IP a.b.c.d where a,b,c, and d are between 0 and 255.

A command prompt refers to a MS-DOS command prompt which you can get by running cmd.exe or by going under "All Programs" and then "Accessories."

Regards
JB

Collapse -
Try A Second Browser...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 12:42 PM PDT

In addition to the good advice above, try downloading the free Firefox browser from the link below. Download the installer file to your desktop, then install it.. Now open Firefox and see if it works correctly. If so, then you may need to fix Internet Explorer.

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

In order to run the command mentioned by Darton, click on Start, choose "Run", then type: cmd. When the command window loads, type: ipconfig /flushdns (leaving a single space between "ipconfig" and the "forward slash"), then press the "Enter" key. If there are no error messages, then simply click on the X in the upper right corner of the window, or type "EXIT" in the command line, then press "Enter" to close the window.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks, but the problem with Firefox....
by rreiland / May 14, 2006 1:32 AM PDT

is that it supposedly is not compatible with my company's site (the one I have been trying to access/log into when I get this error message.) Netscape is supposedly not compatible as well. I've been told more than once by supervisors that Internet Explorer is the most compatible with the site/software.

I'm just confused as to why I would be getting this error message on a brand new PC. I mean I got the error message the very first time I tried to access the site. However, I don't get the error message with any other website I try to visit. Is this a problem that could possibly soon spread to all websites I try to visit? I hope not! Maybe this was dumb of me to think, but I just assumed since the PC is brand new it would be a little while before I had any problems!

Does performing the ipconfig /flushdns command go beyond clearing out what you do when you clear your history or clear your cache? Performing this command won't do anything to hurt the system will it?

Thanks everyone for all the help! It is appreciated!

Collapse -
Not compatible?
by chuckieu / May 14, 2006 5:49 AM PDT

Sounds like someone is several years behind times. Haven't had that issue for quite a while, and I use both
Windows and Linux. The "FREE" part should at least encourage you to try a more secure browser before discarding it. If it doesn't work, use it for everything but that site. That's what we do. Although, Microsoft updates is the about the only site I HAVE to use Internet Explorer. chuck

Collapse -
Re: IE error
by Kees Bakker / May 14, 2006 7:44 AM PDT

mm,

You don't tell much. Could it be that your companies site uses safe html (the address starting with https:// in stead of http://)? That's a clue. If so, is your electronic banking site included in the ''other sites'' that work?

Go into the config panel and see if software DEP is enabled. If so, add iexplore to the exception list and see if that makes a difference. I'm sure this is above your head now, but http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsxp/depcnfxp.mspx is a very clear instruction.

If you can't get it working take the machine with the Windows XP CD and the recovery CD's (if you have them) to your companies IT staff, and let them have a look. If it's necessary to call the manufacturers help desk (after all, you do have warranty) they will be much better in getting the right answers than you will.

The first question anybody will ask (so have an answer ready): could you login at your work with the system out of the box, that is without Spysweeper and PC-cillin installed? If you can't answer that question, it's best to use the recovery CD first to bring your system to its initial state. It's more than likely that it will work then, in my opinion. Then gradually add software until you find the culprit.
Note that it's rather safe to connect to Internet without these two programs as long as you checked in Security Center if the Windows firewall is active (that's the default as far as I know), and you only browse to trusted sites (like your companies and this site).

Hope this helps and please let us know the details if the problem is finally solved.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.