Desktops forum

General discussion

New PC especially for gaming

Hello,

I am going to give the configuration, please give your opinions on it and how I can improve it.

Intel Core2Quad 2.4 processor-10200
DG33 FB motherboard-4850
2*2GB RAM-3900
250 GB hard disk-2750
Samsung Syncmaster 732NW monitor-8400
Logitech mouse and keyboard-725
Sony DVD R/W combo-1500
Graphic card- 8800GT 512 Mb-11000
Cabinet+coolermaster 460 W SMPS-5000

*Do I need a 600W or is 460W coolermaster SMPS enough?

*Which is better- XFX or MSI?

*As i am opting for 4 GB RAM, Which operating system should I use?

*Is DG33 FB good enough or do I need a Abit IP 35 E? Or should I take a Biostar?

*Should I take 8800GT or Ati Radeon 4850?

Please help me on these queries and one more thing, My config should not cross 50K. What changes should I make if at all my config crosses 50K?

I will be very thankful if you answer my queries

Thanking you,
Sagar

NOTE: ALL THE PRICES ARE IN INDIAN RUPEES

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC especially for gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC especially for gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: new pc

In reply to: New PC especially for gaming

go with the abit p35 based mobo if you can afford it. it allows for overclocking and better memory optimization.
hd 4850 is faster than 8800gt.
the coolermaster 460w is a no frills, basic power supply but is sufficient.

Collapse -
few ideas

xfx has a life time warrenty and great customer support so there are folks which would only use xfx
Why ATI? if you are into mmorpgs many of them like the nvidia better . If into mmorpgs i had less issues with the 8600 512 then the better more expenxive cards
I also suggest using a local shop that would post your cpu and mother board and power it up. That way you have back up if something goes bump Post means they attach the cpu to mother board with fan and power it up.
Also include decent fans both side back and on top of cpu.
If into specific games have you gone to their web site tech help sections to see what video cards are experaincing problems? What set ups seem to work best?
Best price isn't always safest way to go . Sometimes having support after the sale is worth the extra then over the net purchase ( something to keep in mind)

Collapse -
Food for Thought

Well, just some ideas. Food for thought.

SLI? You could double up graphic cards if you really want to push your max granting your MOBO supports it. MSI vs XFX? Neither. I have read too many problems with both. I used to be a fan of BFG but I gave up on that too as they were a little overbloated in my opinion.

I like EVGA. Good CSR/Support. Lifetime warranties. Additionally, one of the few companies who offer tradeups. Return an older graphic card/MOBO for the more recent component and they will give you credit towards the new one. Not many companies offer such a perk.

8800 GT? Good bang for buck. Better card than the 9800's actually. If you want more power... 8800GTX. 8800GTS's are mid range and would be pretty sufficient. 8800GT GTS support 2-Way SLI. 8800GTX supports 3Way SLI. Each card has a some different specs, overclocking capabilities. I happen to like the 8800GTS 512MB cards myself. They are a good cost/performance ratio. They look wicked too.

I don't care for Biostar boards. Again, Asus boards or EVGA would be my preferance. EVGA perhaps more for me as they lean to spec boards particularly for NVIDIA platform.

I've never steered away from NVIDIA even with ATI having had some great cards. They're good for each other cause the competition drives the technology, so I don't hate on either or. Do your research, it is a preference thing. My viewpoint has been... AMD processor/ATI Card or Intel Processor / Nvidia card. Doesn't have to be that way, but I think they just pair better and that is purely a personal opinion.

I think you are fine with processor choice. Not worth paying much more right now. There will always be something bigger, faster, better, and more expensive.

Vista will accept and register more RAM for the system than XP. That does not mean it will lead to a performance boost. XP will read somewhere around 3 Gig's of the RAM. Circumstances and tweaks bending to get more benefit from XP with RAM beyond 2Gigs. Research. Forget where Vista taps out right now for RAM but I think it is in the range of 6-8 Gig area and that depends on the version. Honest opinion, Vista is the red headed stepchild of XP which can never seem to walk straight. XP is a better OS by far. More efficient. Do 4 Gigs RAM on XP Pro and even if it doesn't read all 4Gigs, the MOBO will utilize pretty close to all of it. Bios tweaks can assist as well.

If you are a gamer and your Graphic card is a huge necessity, I would say you need to push past the 600Watt PSU area. 460 doesn't cut the mustard for most cards and you don't want to inefficiently power your PC. 600-800Watt PSU with Good rating should be sufficient, consider 700-800 if thinking of doing 2 GPU's in SLI mode.

Hard Drive. This often is argued. Me... I'd shoot for SATA 3GB/s 7200RPM w/ 32MB Cache. People will say you wont notice a difference, true gamers/pcfanatics will argue every MS counts when your clocking performance. I feel the newer 7200RPM's outperform the 10000RPM drives as long as they are SATA 3GB/s. Research.

Case/CD-DVD Drive/etc etc. is nothing but preference.

Price: Under $1500 USD. Do the conversion for Rupees.

My 2 Cents.

GeekInside

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.