PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New PC emitting strange bactaria like bad smell,what is it?

by laugino / July 22, 2004 10:35 AM PDT

Bought a Sony PC about a month ago and it is still emitting a very unpleasant odor,it is stuffy and almost like dirty laundry bacteria type odor.

It is not the brand new computer or burning odor.

I bought it manufactor refurbished on ubid,works well but the odor is too strong and I think it is toxic because I get a sore throat when I wake up.

Would like to know if anyone had a similar problem.Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New PC emitting strange bactaria like bad smell,what is it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New PC emitting strange bactaria like bad smell,what is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New PC emitting strange bactaria like bad smell,what is
by jconner / July 22, 2004 12:04 PM PDT

Could be mold. Could be you are cooking some creature that came along for the trip. Could be whatever they used in the cleanup and refurbishment.

I'd suggest a look inside. If it is truely making you sick contact the seller and ask about a return.

Collapse -
by Willy / July 22, 2004 2:02 PM PDT

Since this is a "refurbed" unit use the warranty for that as they are short for such products. Don't waste time and act on it quickly. If you're truly sick from such a laptop, point that out to them. Follow any instructions they may provide to fix, but if after a 1st attempt, quit. Since this isn't a true h/w fault, probably something with the refurb process or sat in storage so long, it got/picked-up something. Some shipping materials may have permained into the plastic or such.

If you're stuck with it, use "white vinger" place on cloth(soak) and then into a plastic bag, neither touching the other. White vinger will cleanze the odor and then use some sliced lemons, to displace the vinger smell, best used by a sunlit window. Remove all possible componets like batteries, kybd. if easily done, etc.. Do the above at your own risk! or last resort. You can simply place laptop by sunlit window by itself to help disapate odor as well. If truly mold, only alcohol or direct cleaning will remove. Mold needs something to live on thus it may need time alone to work itself out.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
by ksoiehawo / July 23, 2004 2:19 PM PDT

Tell the person you bought it from about it. Maybe u can get a refund

Collapse -
just an opinion
by frankzxcv / July 24, 2004 4:46 AM PDT

question, have you taken this thing apart and given it an up close sniff exam? I am wondering if maybe a mouse crawled in there and died.

a quick fix might be to put a (opened) box of baking soda in the case. hopefully after a while the cause will dry up and go away by itself. - fj

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.