Question

new pc but same hard drive

Just replaced my processor, motherboard, powersupply and video card but im still using my ild hard drive from my old computer. The harddrive was my main one and already had windows on it but everytime I go to boot up my pc windows crashes immediately. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: new pc but same hard drive
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: new pc but same hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just re-install Win7x64

Your boot-up result by just using the old drive as is, is normal. Too much has changed and the OS won't proceed with a proper boot-up.

I suggest, don't do the workarounds or the results maybe less than you want. It may work, but you've got one chance to do this and basically it becomes tiresome once it fails. You may not lose data but you could, that's the point, you're taking a chance. Google away, but in the time and effort you try the work arounds you can have your PC up and running, *CLEANLY* and install old data and pgms. in typical re-install. Image your old drive using another PC to do this and be safe with back-up. If you have another old drive clone to it if you like as yet another back-up method.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
The crash was expected.

When Windows installed it tailors itself to the machine so a change like that and it should crash.

Too bad the OS was not noted. For XP there are workarounds.
Bob

- Collapse -
(:

So does that mean I need to reinstall windows,

- Collapse -
I had hopes you would tell more.

If you had supplied details I might have avoided a full install. Try this on google.

Change motherboard and save Windows operating system.

Add the version you want to save. Again, I have more information but your posts are not complete.
Bob

- Collapse -
asdf

Well its a msi 970a g43 motherboard and windows 7 64 bit

- Collapse -
Then use the search I noted.

The issues of XP don't apply so you can use the methods noted UNLESS you left out a detail such as the Window 7 was some HP/Dell/OEM version.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Locked this post.

You opened a new post so this one is retired.

CNET Forums

Forum Info