TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

New Panasonic Plasmas

by cpbirddog / February 18, 2008 4:32 AM PST

Anyone have any insight on the new Panasonic plasmas? I can pre-order online the Panasonic TH-50PZ85U for $2000. I was contemplating on buying either the Panasonic TH-50PZ700U or Pioneer PDP-5080 because of the good reviews and they would be in the same price range.

Any recommendations on going with the new model vs. the TH-50PZ700U or the Pioneer?

Thanks!

CP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Panasonic Plasmas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Panasonic Plasmas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As a "value" converned person, it's a no-brainer for me.
by NM_Bill / February 19, 2008 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: New Panasonic Plasmas

Do you really think the new model will be substantially better? It'll likely be 1080 instead of 720. A well price reduced Panasonic is a bargain. A well priced reduced Pioneer, perhaps even moreso. Give me a really low priced & good Panny or Pio 720 & i'll be very happy indeed.

Collapse -
That's cheap for a 50" plasma
by Dan Filice / February 19, 2008 8:35 AM PST

I thought the 50" + 1080p plasmas were $3500 and up. $2000?? Sounds like a bargin.

Collapse -
50" 1080p, $2100 all day long
by dinox64 / February 19, 2008 9:10 AM PST

Contemplating next years models. Doing so will keep you from ever purchasing one. You'll always be wondering what if. Like Bill said, the differences between the years and models are trifle currently. Between now and two years ago and maybe now and a couple of years out,then you may have significant changes or upgrades. Find a deal and buy. If you like 720p checkout "directbuyelectronics","Lamonitors" or "Laplasma" which is the same. I bought a little over three years ago from Laplasma and picked it up. They do ship.

Collapse -
JUST MY GUESS, BUT THE PANASONIC TH-50PZ85U.............
by Riverledge / February 19, 2008 11:49 AM PST

WILL REPLACE THE PANNY TH-50PX75U, THEIR ENTRY LEVEL 50" PLASMA.

IN PANASONIC NOMICLATURE, "PZ" INDICATES 1080P RESOLUTION.

BASED ON PREVIOUS PANASONIC UP-DATES........ WE SHOULD EXPECT NEW MODELS TO CARRY THESE MODEL NUMBERS (JUST GUESSING.........)

TH-xxPZ85U replaces TH-xxPX75U
TH-xxPZ88U replaces TH-xxPZ77U

TH-xxPZ800U replaces TH-xxPZ700U
TH-xxPZ850U replaces TH-xxPX750U

Keep in mind these model numbers are only based on internet HUB-BUB!

There's been rumors of the following.... TH-58"/65"/103" PZ888Us.

BIRDDOG, I'D go for the PANNY TH-50PZ700U. That's a great price.
Wait for "MARCH MADNESS" SALES, college basketball; coinsides with
deep discounts and new model INTROs.

BUY A YOURSELF BARGAIN!!!

Best shopping,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Panasonic TH-50PZ85U / TH-46PZ85U / TH-42PZ85U Manual
by adascoli / February 19, 2008 5:35 PM PST

What I found attractive on the Panasonic TH-50PZ85U model is 30,000:1 static contrast ratio vs. 15,000:1 on the current Panasonic TH-50PZ750U. Dynamic contrast ratio is also 1,000,000:1. Check out the manuals for specifications and differences.

All manuals can be found at:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/operman/findmanual.aspx?cat=DTV

Panasonic TH-50PZ85U / TH-46PZ85U / TH-42PZ85U Manual
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PZ85U.PDF

Panasonic TH-50PZ80U / TH-46PZ80U / TH-42PZ80U Manual
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PZ80U.PDF

Collapse -
COMPARING APPLES AND ORANGES.............
by Riverledge / February 20, 2008 2:23 PM PST

SO, YOU ARE IMPRESSED BY THE "STATIC CONTRAST RATIO" @ 30,000:1.

AS OPPOSED TO "CONTRAST RATIO" @ 15,000:1.

HUH?

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE???

MARKETING TOOL AT ITS BEST!

River.

Collapse -
I wonder if static contrast ratio
by jostenmeat / February 21, 2008 3:21 AM PST

is actually on/off contrast ratio. The other two "contrast ratios" are intra-scene and ANSI. The 3 together help combine to make the final "contrast ratio". I think the best ANSI yet has been Pioneer Kuro's at around 3k : 1. The JVC projectors have a 15k:1 on/off ratio.

Collapse -
Can you net out your comment?
by bsubes / February 24, 2008 3:01 AM PST

Will the increased contrast ratio spec on the new model (85U) be worth the wait and added cost (approx. $300ish dollars)? Apparently the new 50" model will not be available until late April/May. Appreciate the feedback. I'm a novice at this but want to make a well imformed purchase.
thanks

Collapse -
30k:1 good lord thats a lota contrast
by boxfresh151 / February 29, 2008 12:34 PM PST

the human eye is about 800:1. so whats all this fuss hummmm?
MARKETING mubojumbo baby.

Collapse -
They're available for order on Amazon.com as of Feb 19th
by lorax1284 / February 21, 2008 4:51 AM PST

just so you know...

Collapse -
Panasonic TVs
by moonmor / February 23, 2008 3:53 AM PST

Can't speak to the TH 50 specifically but I recently bought the Panasonic TH-65PX600U and it is the best ever. Watching HD on this set is like being there. I checked out lots of internet sites and then got mine from bestbuypcs.com (no connection with Best Buy). Best Buy wanted 10K, I got mine for 7.5K from bestbuypcs.com. Helpful sales guy and great shipping.

Collapse -
BEAUTIFUL HDTV YOU HAVE THERE. I BOUGHT THE TH-58PX600U,...
by Riverledge / February 23, 2008 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic TVs

AND LOVE IT, HOWEVER THEY ARE BOTH 2006 MODELS w/720p-1080i resolution. Almost all PANASONIC plasma sets for 2007 & 2008 are 1080p.

No matter, I'm pleased to smithereens with my purchase. I bought mine from "ONE CALL" for $2,500. Good deal and free shipping.

Best wishes.

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Price for new Panasonic 85U - $2000.?
by bsubes / February 24, 2008 3:04 AM PST

Where did youm see this price? The only early order advertised price I've seen is 2669.00.

BTW: If you are going to but this years model the 750U is a better deal. I've seen it within 150. dollars, if you can find it.

Collapse -
46 inchers
by davgel2 / February 24, 2008 6:09 AM PST

Anyone have an idea to when will their new 46 inchers will come out?

Collapse -
46 inchers
by erotanes / February 24, 2008 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: 46 inchers

The Panasonic website states early April, but I saw in another forum that someone is having a TH-50PZ85U deliver Wednesday 2/27/08; so you may be able to order it now. If you can get an EPP price, the 46" will be < $1600 +tax. MSRP $2,200

Collapse -
46 inchers
by davgel2 / February 24, 2008 9:01 AM PST

What is an EPP?

Collapse -
EPP
by bsubes / February 24, 2008 11:40 AM PST

I believe it stands for Employee Purchase Plan

Collapse -
I'm pining for the Panasonic 46PZ85U
by lorax1284 / March 4, 2008 11:03 AM PST

...hoping it'll come in 'round $1700 on sale before too long.

Question: anyone have an opinion on using an HTPC with a 720P screen? I might use my screen for gaming, too, so I don't want to be limited to a resolution lower than my graphics card can handle.

Collapse -
Price for new Panasonic 85U - $2000.?
by erotanes / February 24, 2008 7:42 AM PST

$1,944 is thru EPP, if you're eligible. I checked it out today.

Collapse -
TH-50PZ85U being delivered next week - $2000
by rwoodsy / February 29, 2008 3:16 AM PST

I am scheduled to recieve my TH-50PZ85U on Wednesday, March 5! Bought direct from Panasonic through the EPP for $2002.32 (before tax), plus free shipping! I will let you know how it looks and compare to the TH-50PX60U that my brother has.

Collapse -
CONGRATS ON YOUR PURCHASE!!!
by Riverledge / February 29, 2008 9:14 AM PST

HOPE IT LOOKS AS GOOD AS ANTICIPATED........ LET US ALL KNOW WHAT YOU
THINK AFTER A COUPLE HUNDRED WARM-UP HOURS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, FOR YOUR REVIEW.........

Best viewing,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Panasonic prices for Z80U & Z85U series
by Scouser Tommy / March 22, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

Join Borders Rewards Perks [free] and you will be provided with a coupon code. Connect to the Panasonic site from the Borders page and;

TH-46PZ85U Price $1631.52 TH-46PZ80U Price $1545.00

Price reductions also for the 50" and 42" sizes.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Panasonic or PIoneer
by mrpaul / February 29, 2008 10:02 PM PST

While you may buy the Panasonic cheaper than the Pioneer, it is like buying a Toyota Camry vs. buying a BMW. The Pioneer 720 model (actually 768) has a scaler circuit which can scale the video signal of a Blu Ray to 1080P and look really great. Pioneer has the blackest black levels of any tv on the market. If price is your main consideration, then choose the Panasonic.

Collapse -
Camry vs. BMW - That's funny, Mr. Paul
by kkimbo / March 1, 2008 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic or PIoneer

Hilarious post, Mr. Paul...obviously written by someone who made the mistake of buying a Pioneer 720p model - a model that's rated lower in Consumer Reports than the Panasonic 720p models, not to mention the 1080p variety. Look who bought the Camry.

Collapse -
I agree
by blue1244 / March 1, 2008 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Panasonic or PIoneer

Just look at the screens and you can see a difference. I don't care what's on paper. I think the Pioneer has a better picture than the Panasonic. It does all come down to the blacks. However, I'm anxious to see the new Panasonic with it's higher contrast ratio.

Collapse -
Panasonic Plasma
by Riskman / March 1, 2008 1:47 AM PST

I have the 77U and have owned it since December. It is a great set and I have no reservations about my purchase. I have read others complained about a clicking noise, I havent noticed one. I Think you have to decide what you are using it for and your budget. I dont think I will go the blue ray route, I have too many movies on conventional dvd's to go out and buy them again (if they were all available) on blue ray. If blue ray is what you really want maybe you should spend more and buy the more expensive set but I would really compare the two when using a blue ray player, I have been told it really doesnt make a huge difference but again I havent done that so check it out for yourself. As far as regular tv no one is broadcasting in 1080p and wont. It takes too much bandwith. Another thought is that you can buy TWO 77U tvs for almost the same price as the other set. What I would really like to see is first run movies (leagaly) downloadable on the internet so I could watch them at home without going to the theater, but that is many years off I think. for now I will just enjoy my 77U, it has a great picture, and great sound (if you dont want to use your sound system you dont have to).

Collapse -
plasma tvs
by mikey7353 / March 1, 2008 8:24 AM PST

I dont have a plasma myself because ive beentold by someone who works with tvs that they are not as reliable as hd ready tvs , i was going to buy one my self untill my friend advised me not to he said he would never touch them because they onlt tend to last 12 months thenyou start having problems with the picture, colour ect, but the choice is your, i would not entertain them myself.

Collapse -
Plasma TV's
by Pannylover4ever / March 2, 2008 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: plasma tvs

In response by mikey7353

1. Just because someone that sells TV's thinks Plasma TV's are bad doesn't make it so. Consumer Reports rates Panasonic Plasma TV failure rate a 2%, less than LCD, LCoS or any other type out there.
2. Plasma TV's are HD ready TV's, along with LCD, LCoS and all flat screen TV's sold by now.
3. Plasma TV's are rated for 40.000 to 100.000 hours of use, more TV than you can watch for 20 years.

Unfortunately, just because someone makes a statement doesn't make it a fact. LCD or Plasma are both a perfectly acceptable choice, and the differences are getting to be so trivial that it is simply a matter of size and personal preference.

The display category leaders for plasma (Panasonic and Pioneer) and for LCD (Sony and Sharp) produce excellent screens that most people will be very happy with for many years to come.

The differences between this years and last years models are usually so small that the average consumer will never notice the difference.

The difference between the PH and the PZ models (720P vs 1080P) tends not to be worth the price premium unless you start getting a 58" or bigger screen, since most people can't tell the difference from normal viewing distances.

The biggest complaint before, was people buying a smaller screen than they would have preferred in hindsight, a problem mostly disappearing with screen prices dropping drastically and even 58" screens available for just over $2k.

In the meantime, relax and enjoy your screen.

Collapse -
FIND A FRIEND WITH MORE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT PLASMAS.............
by Riverledge / March 4, 2008 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: plasma tvs

RIVER.

Collapse -
Same page
by [CaM]Spoon / March 5, 2008 3:21 AM PST

Ah I'm actually trying to make this same decision. I cant decide if I should just pick up the Pioneer 5080 now or wait for the Panasonic 50z85.
It is true the Pioneer even at 720 is still better picture then the panasonics because of the better black levels.
I would rather have a 1080p as Im mostly playing games, blueray and hooking computer to it but If the new Panasoincs are not on par with 2007 pioneers then theres no point. I would love to see reviews on the new sets to see how these new 2008 Panasoincs compare.

Anyone see the 50z85 yet? Is it worth the wait?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!