Speakeasy forum

General discussion

New Orleans Mayor Says God Mad at U.S.

by Mark5019 / January 16, 2006 11:05 AM PST

Mayor Ray Nagin suggested Monday that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and other storms were a sign that "God is mad at America" and at black communities, too, for tearing themselves apart with violence and political infighting.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," Nagin, who is black, said as he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves."

Nagin also promised that New Orleans will be a "chocolate" city again. Many of the city's black neighborhoods were heavily damaged by Katrina.

"It's time for us to come together. It's time for us to rebuild New Orleans _ the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans," the mayor said. "This city will be a majority African American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have New Orleans no other way. It wouldn't be New Orleans."

Nagin described an imaginary conversation with King, the late civil rights leader.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/16/D8F65JUG5.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Orleans Mayor Says God Mad at U.S.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Orleans Mayor Says God Mad at U.S.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Isn't that funny?
by Glenda / January 16, 2006 11:10 AM PST

God can be mad at Black NO, But God can't be mad at anyone else?? Something wrong with this! If Pat Robertson had said it there would have been an uproar!
And don't get me wrong, I share NONE of Robertsons views.

Collapse -
hear hear
by Mark5019 / January 16, 2006 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Isn't that funny?

supprised he didnt blame bush:D

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So true!!!
by Glenda / January 16, 2006 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: hear hear
Collapse -
Who knows? Maybe he has a point.
by Kiddpeat / January 16, 2006 11:17 AM PST

God is probably not very pleased with a lot of what goes on in New Orleans. I think He was also highly displeased with what was going on in Iraq before we got there.

However, God wasn't the one who didn't evacuate the city. God wasn't the one who left the buses parked in a flooded area. The mayor can't pass the buck to God any more than he can pass it to President Bush.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good thing Pat Robertson didn't say it
by duckman / January 16, 2006 11:33 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) When in doubt, blame God
by Diana Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 1:32 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't know if God's really angry at NOLA;
by Paul C / January 16, 2006 6:56 PM PST

I don't remember Him telling me that. Wink

What I do know is that there are lots of NOLA residents really, really mad with Ray Nagin.

Collapse -
Although NO wasn't the only
by TONI H / January 16, 2006 8:17 PM PST

city and LA wasn't the only state hit by hurricane after hurricane with massive distruction, I wonder if God was more angry with the politicians in LA and NO for squandering all those millions instead of using it for the levees year after year....and He wanted to finally make His point that they had a responsibility to their PEOPLE (black and white) to protect them and didn't.

It also sounds as if Nagin doesn't WANT whites in NO, and that's a pretty dangerous ground to walk on publicly....Considering that if the levees aren't fixed and mostly blacks get killed again down the road because of politicians diverting the priority funding again, it would appear that Nagin is enforcing genocide by making sure the 'chocolate NO' gets wiped out again.

You've gotta wonder at the mentality of loud mouth politicians who consistently insert all that shoe leather into their mouths in front of a camera or microphone. Where in hell are their PR people who should be writing their words? Obviously the speaker isn't smart enough to read the script ahead of time or they actually believe what they are saying....either way, it's scary.

TONI

Collapse -
Careful now ...
by Evie / January 16, 2006 10:14 PM PST

... expressing the notion that God might punish can get you labeled a lunatic on the fringe! Wink

I loved World Net Daily's headline for this story:
"Mayor Chocolate Nagin: America's flavorite racist"

Collapse -
Then every thumper who
by TONI H / January 16, 2006 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Careful now ...

believes in the written bible is a lunatic....there is evidence throughout that God gets pissed off enough to wipe out civilization.

TONI

Collapse -
Thumper
by marinetbryant / January 16, 2006 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: Then every thumper who

If memory serves me correct, which I doubt, in one of Graham Hancock's books, an Indian (North or South American) stated that when Mother Earth gets tired of or stressed out by humans she will take action. It seems that geological and archaeological records lend some credence to that idea.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thumper wouldn't be a bigotted label now, would it?
by Evie / January 16, 2006 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Then every thumper who
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) People seem to think god is being petty these days.
by Dan McC / January 16, 2006 10:06 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!