Camcorders forum

General discussion

New or used camcorder?

by GadgetMonkey / March 14, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

I'm looking at all of these reviews and keep reading about the different CCD sizes and I'm wondering if I would be better off going with an older camera with a larger CCD.

I'm buying the camera so that I can film my new baby coming in a month, plus be able to film me and my friends mountain biking. So it needs to handle shaking around in my backpack. Wrapped nugley of course.

Right now I'm thinking about the Canon ZR800 or the Sony DCR-HC38. I want MiniDV, not DVD or HDD. I would like to keep the cost in the $300-$400 range. If I went with a used camera I could probably get a slightly better but older camera.

Is there anything that the new MiniDV's cameras offer that's any better? Are the new smaller CCD's better than the older larger ones? Maybe it's just that the new cameras are much smaller in size.

This is my first camcorder by the way.

Thanks for any input you can offer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New or used camcorder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New or used camcorder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: New or used camcorder?
by SpiceITrocks / March 14, 2007 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: New or used camcorder?

I was in the same boat as you and did a lot of research on some review sites like camcorderinfo.com etc. I went with a camcorder that was in mint condition but, 2 years old the Panasonic PV-GS150 which is a 3CCD camera.

There's a lot of passionate debate over the CCD size and frankly I'm not too concerned and coming up with some awesome footage. I don't use the optical zoom as frequently because of stabilization issues when taking action shots in a kayak, hiking or whatever and as you may know most sub-$1000 cameras suffer from low-level lighting but, you just go with some of the limitations these cameras have.

To me the GS150 is small enough yet, you know you're holding a quality cam and the footage will be clean with nice resolution.
This camera was $375 from Ebay mint.

I also bought a Panasonic PV-GS35 which cost me $200 and is great for what it is. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Re: Panasonic PV-GS150 DV Palmcorder & Windows
by mfitzgerald1809 / April 9, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

I need a litttle technical help. I just bought a Panasonic PV-GS150 DV Palmcorder. Great camera, but I wonder if its editing software is compatible with Windows Vista, or if I need to stick with Windows XP or 2000. Thanks.

MikeF

Collapse -
Re: Panasonic PV-GS150 DV Palmcorder & Windows
by SpiceITrocks / April 9, 2007 3:46 AM PDT

Your talking about the bundled software? I believe the latest OS will be Windows XP. I have Vista on this new work laptop of mine but, I've chosen to edit my vids on a Mac so I bought Final Cut Express HD and I use the Firewire port on the Mac for DV transfer. I haven't heard great things about Motion DV but, for basic tasks it may suit your needs. Here's some specs: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/soft/faq/motionDV_faq.html

Adobe offers an excellent video editing package for Windows.
Premiere Elements 3.0 for under $100
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2037011,00.asp
http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.