Speakeasy forum

General discussion

New old music ...

I'm sometimes amused by the differences in life experience between adults and children.

Our church has a "contemporary" worship style. We do not (presently) have an organ. Singing is accompanied by guitars, electronic keyboard and such. The music is a mixture of old and new. But then, what is "new" to one person may not be "new" to another.

One of my sons asked me this afternoon if I liked the new songs we sang at church this morning. I didn't remember singing any new songs. It turns out that one of the "new songs" he was thinking about was the oldest one we sang!

1. All hail the power of Jesus' name!
Let angels prostrate fall;
bring forth the royal diadem,
and crown him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem,

2. Ye chosen seed of Israel's race,
ye ransomed from the fall,
hail him who saves you by his grace,
Hail him who saves you by his grace,

3. Sinners, whose love can ne'er forget
the wormwood and the gall,
go spread your trophies at his feet,
Go spread your trophies at his feet,

... and so on

The bits about diadems and "the wormwood and the gall" had him a bit puzzled, but he did at least pay attention to the words.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New old music ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New old music ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New old music ...

In reply to: New old music ...

In a hymnal I have here, the first date of this hymn is...1779! Your son must have a supernaturally long memory....Wink

Collapse -
Quite a short memory, actually ...

In reply to: Re: New old music ...

We have sung that hymn in church before, but he had completely forgotten it.

Or maybe he didn't recognize it when played with a soft rock style and different harmony scheme.

I did think it was funny, though, that most of the music yesterday morning was written in the last 20 years or so, but the songs he identified as "new" were both over 150 years old. I guess they were just "new" to him.

Collapse -

This was my MIL's favorite hymnHappy Reminded me of her when I read the wordsHappy Thank you,
Glenda

Collapse -

Brought back good memories. My dad led the singing for years at our church and I can still hear him singing that hymn. Always liked that one.

DE

Collapse -
An update on an old comment.

I rented 'The Name of the Rose' last week to refresh my memory of the film which I once commended to you. I am now puzzled by why I originally thought it to be so good. It does have a brief, fairly graphic sex scene, but, more important, it seems to portray the church as an unbroken string of twisted, evil, or pathetic individuals who live off the sweat of the poor. The one exception, is the main character who, as a monk, is far more convincing as a sceptic than an example of faith.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.