Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

New mp3 player suggestions

by tom5965 / February 10, 2008 6:02 AM PST

Hey everybody. I'm in the market for a new mp3 player and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to buy. One thing is for sure, however: I will never buy another Apple product! I have about 20GB of music right now and a small but growing video collection. I am not too concerned with video playback, but I think I would like something that can hold my entire music collection and any player with that capacity now plays videos. I mainly want a player to use in my car and while working out. I like the touchscreen capabilities offered by many players today, but I would at least like a tactile control for volume and power.
I was almost ready to go buy the 80GB Zune, but I just started reading about the Archos 605 W-Fi. I think it would be awesome to have Wi-Fi capabilities on an mp3 player. (If I hadn't experienced such a terrible ordeal with Apple I would go get the 32GB i-Touch.) The biggest thing keeping me from ordering the Archos right now is the fact that I have had so much trouble finding accessories for it. I would really like to have some type of arm band or another way to use the player while exercising, as well as a way to play it through the car stereo. Does anybody know where I could find these kinds of accessories for the Archos? On a side note, I tried several FM transmitters for my i-Pod with poor results. I will most likely use a cassette adapter for playing in my car unless anyone has a better suggesstion short of getting a new car stereo.
So as of right now, my number 1 choice is the Archos 605, but I am still undecided and figured I might as well post on here and see what suggestions people have to offer. Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to be as specific as possible in order to get the best advice. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New mp3 player suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New mp3 player suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I would like something that can hold my entire music collec
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 6:52 AM PST

"I would like something that can hold my entire music collection"

That seems scary. I ran into a member who had placed all their collection onto such a device and they dropped it. They were very upset that no one could recover their collection.

It's only English but are you thinking this device would "hold" your collection or be the device to store it?

Collapse -
are you thinking this device would "hold" your collection or
by tom5965 / February 10, 2008 10:44 AM PST

I would still keep my collection on my hard drive at home, I just want a device that can fit all of it so I can take it with me as well.

Collapse -
Then it's shopping time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 1:48 AM PST

Get out there and see what 20GB and up devices you like.

Collapse -
Shopping time
by tom5965 / February 11, 2008 8:46 AM PST

I like the Archos 605, but I am having a hard time finding accessories for it. I wondered if anyone might know where to find some, and if anybody that has used the Archos had some input regarding its performance (mainly its user interface and the web browsing experience). Or, for that matter, if anyone who especially likes a different player could offer any reasons to go with something besides the Archos before I go and plunk down the cash. Thanks

Collapse -
amazon has several things
by JonTitor / February 11, 2008 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Shopping time

people don't usually use a harddrive pvp for working out so you might not find an armband for the 605 wifi, but there a plenty of belt clips

Collapse -
Go for the Zen 32GB
by Drummer102 / February 12, 2008 6:56 AM PST

I would say go for the Zen but I have say it is really hard to put on movies and you have to use there software to transfer files. But other than that the battery life is good, screean quality very nice, interface is a bit hard a first with the center butten, and it has an ok voice recorder (still dont know how to chane the gain).

Collapse -
choosing mp3 players
by SCSI1011 / February 12, 2008 7:02 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?