Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

New MP3 player advice - Am I an iPod prisoner?

by rockhill15 / December 7, 2006 1:12 AM PST

I have a 3rd Gen iPod that I want to replace. All the music I have has come from CD's and is stored on my computer. How difficult would it be to move the music on my computer onto a non-apple MP3 player? Can anyone recommend another brand of MP3 player. I don't need video. A radio tuner would be nice. 20G is plenty of memory.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New MP3 player advice - Am I an iPod prisoner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New MP3 player advice - Am I an iPod prisoner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mp3 advice, help
by hamblda / December 7, 2006 1:54 AM PST

Sorry, I don't have any advice but I'm with you, my daughters 20 gig I-pod died for the 3d time ( hard drive froze)if you get input on someting better I'll be buying it too!

Collapse -
Easy if your music is in mp3 format
by ktreb / December 7, 2006 10:42 AM PST

If not, then you would have to convert them. There is third party software that should do this. Check download.com(CNET's site) first and search for "AAC to mp3 conversion" - you should be able to find something.

If you have purchased iTunes music (you said you didn't, but this is to answer hambla's question too) - you would need to burn them as an audio cd and then rerip them onto your computer as mp3s.

If they are all mp3's - no problem. You can use windows media player (or other software) to manage your music in your iTunes library. You would just need to have it find your music. In WMP, go to "file", then "add to library", then by "searching computer". It might be different in WMP 11, but the process should be similar.

Most current hard drive based players come in 30GB, 60GB, or more. Almost all of them have video (If you don't want to use it, you don't need to, but viewing pictures is a nice option) You might want to go with something that's 30GB. If your new player supports it, you could always use the extra space for back up storage.

Sorry, I'm an iPod person. I can name a few players, but I don't know from experience what they're like. Give it time, you might get some responses from the non-iPod loving community.

Creative Zen Vision:M
Microsoft Zune - but you're stuck using their software, much like iPod +iTunes
Toshiba Gigabeat S

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!