General discussion

New Motherboard (IDE) Boot Issues

I recently began to put together a PC for a friend of mine. All parts were brand new although they were all purchased from seperate vendors. I used an AsRock MB (maybe my first mistake) only because it was economical and I built a PC on one earler this year without a problem.

Everything seemed to go alright except for some reason it doesn't seem to want to boot when all my IDE components are hooked up (2 Maxtor HD's and Sony DVD-RW drive). The fans spin but it refuses to boot. The only way I could boot it was to hit the power with the DVD Drive not connected and then quickly plug it in before the bootstrap.
If I do this the BIOS will read the drive perfectly. I went ahead and installed the OS (XP) and setup the computer as if nothing was wrong. Any warm boots return without a problem but a cold boot takes me back to square one (fans spin, no POST) and I have to unplug the DVD drive to start it again. I tried a few other drives and cables however I received the same result. Unfortunately, once in a while, if I unhook the DVD drive it still doesn't boot. I'm forced to also unhook the slave HD before I can get a boot. This drive isn't as stubborn however as if I turn the computer off and on a few times I can generally get the computer to POST whereas with the DVD drive i've never been that lucky.

I don't know what's up, it's like the BIOS is unable to "save" the drive specs.

Bad IDE controller? Defective board? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Drives are set up as master/slave.
HD's are set into IDE 0 as primary master/slave.
DVD-RW Drive is set to primary master on IDE 1.
Power supply is a brand new Altec 430.
I'm not sure about the IDE setup although I would assume if one was set to off then the DVD drive would fail to run at all.

Hardware:

Sony 16X DVD+/-RW /DW-D22A
VGA ATIOEM|RADEON 9800SE 128M 8X
512MB (2x256) Dual Channel PC3200 DDR 32x8
Barebones Kit w/ P4 3.2GHz - 1MB Cache (800 FSB)
ASRock P4S61 MB
ATX 300w Mini-Mid Tower (Replaced with 430w Altec)
Basic / Generic Fan/Heatsink (40mm)
(2) Maxtor 80GB HD

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New Motherboard (IDE) Boot Issues
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Motherboard (IDE) Boot Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try the new way...

"HD's are set into IDE 0 as primary master/slave."

If I see 80 conductor cables, I use CABLE SELECT.

Bob

- Collapse -
- Collapse -
My suspicion is simply that the Power Supply

can't support the inrush and locked rotor currents at startup. It will sometimes start after multiple tries because the capacitors got partially charged in the earlier tries and the charge has not bled off, thus the capacitor charging inrush is reduced enough to let the supply stay up.

The power supply has overcurrent protection circuits which shut down when too much currenbt is detected.

Some new video cards have given some supplies problems with this.

- Collapse -

Do you have you hard drives properly pinned for primary and slave? If not properly pinned, the problem you are discribing could occur.

CNET Forums

Forum Info