General discussion

New motherboard - Help authenticating Windows!

I have a home-built PC, built by my father a few years ago. I have Windows XP Professional running on this machine, but since it was installed by someone else, I do not have the disc; because of this, when an error called for recovery, I used an XP Home disc, and everything seemed to work fine. However, I got a new mobo+cpu for christmas, and it's time to change motherboards. I understand I cannot change motherboards without reinstalling or 'validating' Windows, but will this Home disc work? If it doesn't, what am I going to do? I have my Product key which was fetched by a program I used, but I'm afraid that won't be enough to solve the Windows problem..

My current board is (at least it says on the board-) an ABIT NF7. My new one is an ABIT KN9.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 Ghz.
1.12Ghz DDR RAM.
Visiontek X1300.
80Gb IDE HDD.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: New motherboard - Help authenticating Windows!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New motherboard - Help authenticating Windows!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
"I have my Product key which was fetched by a program I used

"I have my Product key which was fetched by a program I used,"

This and your story is typical of those that don't own a copy of XP but have been getting by without (somehow.) The new activation has teeth so unless you have the real license it should fail. If you have the real CD, license then a call to MS is needed for a new CDKEY.

Bob

- Collapse -
-If you have the real CD-

But I don't have the real CD my copy was activated with.. even if I contact the person who activated it, I doubt they'd still ahve the CD after these few years since then. If I can't get the CD, what will I do?

- Collapse -
Buy a full version of Windows at your favorite

supplier or get the CD you should have rec'd when you bought the PC.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Well, this is what happened:

About a year after my PC was built, I had Windows re-installed on a new hard drive and a new copy of Windows. I do not have the CD, but I may be able to get it from the guy my stepdad paid to do it.

If I cannot.. would I just be able to use a completely new copy of Windows XP Professional when it prompts me to authenticate it upon reboot after installing my new motherboard? Or will I have to.. wipe everything and reinstall Windows first, then replace my motherboard?

- Collapse -
LOCKED.

There is no sign you have a proper license. The forum policies are clear we can't discuss how to get around this or if doing this will get around it.

Sorry but this discussion is closed. It's policy...

- Collapse -
From email.

"I know that you are a moderator and your job is to uphold the policies of the site. However, with all due respect, I was not looking for a way to "avoid" authenticating my copy of Windows. I was asking the proper way to do it if one does not have the original CD. I have the product key and the license number (I assume that's the number by "Registered to:" In Control Panel>System>General), just not the original CD. I fail to see how my current copy of Windows is relevant, if my question was pertaining to the order in which I should install Windows and my new motherboard; Especially if my aim was to BUY a new copy of Windows in the first place.

I look forward to your response, hopefully something useful pertaining to my problem. But if you cannot by policy provide me that, I'd like to at least know which policy I violated before I take the chance of seeking help on this forum again.

- Jeremy"

- Collapse -
Your posts admit to what is pirated goods.

For worse or better we can't discuss such here.

As to how to fix, that's easy. Go get a proper license.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info