Computer Help forum

General discussion

New motherboard can't load Windows XP

by dhansen815 / March 1, 2007 10:49 PM PST

Have a new motherboard, HD, cpu - everything. Want to put my old XP on it but when I run the CD - is says reading CD but nothing beyond that. I've called MicroCenter (where I bought it) and they say I have to buy a new XP CD as the old one might be specific to my old system. The old one is not made for a specific there something else wrong with the board or do I need to go to the dreaded Vista level. The board I got is nForce 570 SLI T-A v5.1 Socket 775 ATX Motherboard - it is Vista Ready - but says it will run xp on it. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New motherboard can't load Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New motherboard can't load Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We need more info or a better
by Ray Harinec / March 1, 2007 11:39 PM PST

understanding. What type of Hard drive are you using?? Possibly a SATA? If SATA then you must hit the F6 key, but also get the instructions from the manual on how to create the file that XP installer will eventually ask for to install the SATA drivers.

Is the boot order in the BIOS set to boot from the CD first? And is that how you got to the CD?

Remember that even with that boot order it still requires you to hit a key during boot to boot from the CD.

Tell us more about the OLD CD. How was it purchased???

Collapse -
Thanks for quick response
by dhansen815 / March 1, 2007 11:47 PM PST

understanding. What type of Hard drive are you using?? ****Yes SATA (did not know I needed to hit F6 will try that tonight****

Is the boot order in the BIOS set to boot from the CD first? And is that how you got to the CD? - ****Yes CD first - I've tried with manual boot to (F11 then going directly to CD) It then goes there and says reading CD boot - but stops spinning and just sits***

Tell us more about the OLD CD. How was it purchased??? ****Purchased from store did not have SP2 at the time so old version...could that be the problem? I have disk for the upgrade portion SP2******

Collapse -
Typed something and somehow lost it.
by Ray Harinec / March 2, 2007 1:07 AM PST

So, The F6 option only shows for a short time, so be alert. It says for RAID but also applies to SATA.

The mobo determines the method that is used to provide the path when requested. Be aware that the install program doesn't ask for the related until quite a while after you hit F6, it does a lot of other things first.

Sorry about the all caps. already lost one reply so I'll post this without correting the all caps.

Collapse -
And, of course thatfree SP2 from
by Ray Harinec / March 2, 2007 1:17 AM PST

MS was from Oct 05, so you'll have a potload of critical updates to install. Probably over 100. LOL

Collapse -
Also be aware that you
by Ray Harinec / March 2, 2007 1:14 AM PST

will not be able to activate due to the new hardware. When you try you will get a message about too many changes. By replying you will get a 1-800 number to call. The person will start a long tale, so interrupt and say that your mobo and power supply died and that you could not find the same model mobo anymore. Usually then they will give you a new set of numbers in the blanks on the validation screen you will be at.

I've done it a few times and no problems, just don't wait to hear the story they are giving, but politely interrupt.

They have to be convinced that the original is not still on another computer. Just assure them that you are fully aware that it would be illegal to have it on two systems.

Collapse -
Re: Also be aware that you
by dhansen815 / March 2, 2007 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Also be aware that you

Great thank so much. Will try each step and see where it takes me.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?