PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New motherboard assistance needed

Greetings -

I am starting the process of building my own pc. I already have a home theater pc (htpc) running Snapstream so I'm interested in building a new pc on the cheap for use just as a file server/storage.

I got an Ultra Wizard case for free after rebate from MicroCenter. It has three external 5.25" bays, one external 3.5" bay, and five internal 3.5" bays.

I also just got a Ultra 500 watt power supply for $5 after rebate.

Now, I'm looking at motherboards and processors.

Since I won't be gaming with this box, it doesn't need to be state of the art. I'm trying to build it on the cheap.

I've been looking at AMD Athlon 64 processors from Newegg and Outpost. Most seem to run around $50 or so.

For the motherboard, I'd ultimately like to have a mobo which supports 6 PATA hard drives. Looking at Newegg, it seems most mobo's only support 4 hard drives. All of my hard drives are PATA - I don't have any SATA yet.

I did find an open box motherboard at Newegg for $27. It is a SOLTEK SL-K8TPro-754 Socket 754 VIA K8T800 ATX AMD Motherboard. It's PATA is 3 x ATA100 up to 6 Devices.
The only problem is that Soltek is no longer going to make motherboards and their website is down. I can imagine that BIOS updates will probably be non-existant so while it's cheap, the support options are probably non-existant.

I'm thinking a mobo manufacturer which is still in business is probably a better idea.

Anyone know of another mobo manufacturer which has support for 6 PATA drives and doesn't charge an arm & a leg for the board?

Thanks for any & all advice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New motherboard assistance needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New motherboard assistance needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Motherboard assistance

In reply to: New motherboard assistance needed

Why don't you just buy a cheap PCI ATA controller and plug it into the board? They can be had for less than $20.

Collapse -
Motherboard advice

I usually buy from mwave.com and get a motherboard/ram/CPU combo, they will assemble and test it for 9.00 extra and that way you eliminate one more thing at assembly time.

Collapse -
RE:

''I got an Ultra Wizard case for free after rebate from MicroCenter. It has three external 5.25'' bays, one external 3.5'' bay, and five internal 3.5'' bays.''

Why do you need a mobo that supports 6 PATA devices when you have a case that only accomodates four?

"I also just got a Ultra 500 watt power supply for $5 after rebate."

Bad, bad, bad. Ultra isn't known for making good products, and if this machine is a sever, you'll want it to be stable. What are the amps on the PSU's +12V rail?

"I've been looking at AMD Athlon 64 processors from Newegg and Outpost. Most seem to run around $50 or so."

I recommend the Athlon 64 3000+ Venice, which is $66 on newegg. It's a socket 939 chip, though; you'll need to get a socket 939 motherboard, like the ASUS A8V-VM[/url. It supports 4 PATA devices, so you should get the PCI adapter, like someone else said.
Collapse -
Loose the idea of 6 PATA.

There are so many inexpensive storage solutions nowaday you don't need that extra 2 pata connections.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I second that notion

In reply to: Loose the idea of 6 PATA.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.