PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New motherboard

I would like to put a new motherboard and CPU in my computer and keep current OS, hard drive, data , peripherals etc. etc.
Can I just take the old one out and put the new one in?
Are there any tips or tricks?
I have Windows XP Pro and have backed up the c drive.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New motherboard

In reply to: New motherboard

you will need to install mobo drivers and then most likely reactivate xp with ms which is very easy 1 free phone call

Collapse -
Need to address a number of things.

In reply to: New motherboard

Will the case take the new mobo properly mounted?
Will you need a morepowerful Power Supply? Will you need additional cooling. One would assume that you are going to get a faster CPU and maybe memory. All create more heat [consume more power].

These things can all be researched for answers. You can see pictures of the mobos at the mfrs website. When you remove the old mobo you MUST remove all of the hex standoffs that do not line up with the mounting holes in the new mobo or it could short out the new mobo and damage it.

May require new memory if you go from SDRAM to DDR SDRAM. [there are some mobo's that will take either, but they have some limitations re the CPU that you pick]

We could help if we have some info about the old system and what you want in the new system.

Mark is correct that when done you will have to redo the Product Activation for XP with Microsoft, but that is simple.

Please to not assemble the new system completely and then find that it doesn't work. Check back and we can tell you the steps to take when assembling the new system.

If the existing system is a proprietary type such as Dell, Compaq, Gateway et al there will be other considerations regarding the way they have the Operating System installed in the PC.

Collapse -
Re: Need to address a number of things.

In reply to: Need to address a number of things.

I have an standard ATX case, I bought a Pentium 4 2.4 800 FSB Hyperthreading and 1 gig of pc3200 and an Intel motherboard that supports hyperthreading.
I have to check the power supply, what size do you recommend? I don't know anything about the fan either (except that it it loud!)
I don't really have any complaints about the system now (Pentium 4 2.0 pc133)except I have tried doing some video encoding and it is slow and hard to do anything else while it is encoding, so I wanted to see if hypertheading would help.

Collapse -
Well you already bought the materials so

In reply to: Re: Need to address a number of things.

lets get started. Does the mobo support dual channel memory?? Did you get two sticks of PC 3200 DDR 400 one 512 for each of the channels??? [there is some debate as to whether dual channel is significantly faster].

Forgot to discuss the Power Supply what size [wattage] do you have now?? What is the name of the MFR? If it is underpowered it should get you through the first steps and probably get the system working. If the system shuts down a lot or otherwise acts flaky you may want to get a higher wattage unit.

Carefully see if the mounting holes on the mobo match the holes on the existing mobo. These holes are the ones with the plated artwork circling the holes. They will probably match, except there might be one less on the new mobo so you must remove that extra standoff if so. BTW the fiber washers go under the head of the mounting screws simply for the purpose of preventing damage to the printed artwork around the hole as you tighten the screws. Yhey are not for insulation.

The idea is to mount the CPU, the HSF and the memory on the mobo before fitting it into the case.

The idea is to get into the BIOS ASAP, so just install the mobo with the CPU/HSF and Memory. Set for single channel or dual channel as appropriate if there are jumpers for that. Connect the power supply to the mobo, the power switch wires to the mobo and the other panel items including the speaker. No Keyboard no mouse. No cards or drives. Turn the power on and see if you get a lot of beeps [means that you have no video] That's a good sign [some mobo BIOS's don't use beeps. If power goes on, and CPU fan works great. Then add the video card [if it has onboard video you could use that and install the video card afterward]. If you have onboard video and plan to put an AGP card in you can first use the onboard to get into the BIOS and disable the onboard video and enable the look for AGP in the BIOS.

Note: observe all ESD precautions, ground yourself to the ccase metal as frequently as possible. Also, note that with ATX systems when you turn the system off by windows or at this time by the fromnt panel switch there is still 5 volt logic power on the mobo [many now have an LED on the mobo that lights from this voltage]. Best to remove that voltage whenever going into the case/mobo to add remove hardware. Either unplug the power supply or if the supply has an on/ off swich on the rear use that to turn it off. Better way because it leaves the ground wire to the house wiring still connected. [Don't forget to turn it back on each time.] I always forget and then feel foolish. LOL

Anyay, with the video and the monitor connected turn the system on, hopefully a single beep and you get the first screen on the monitor maybe a splash screen or gives video and BIOS info. If that works shut down and hook up the keyboard No use for a mouse yet. Turn on power and get into the BIOS and set the features that you want or need. Remember, other than USB ports, nothing else in a computer is hot switchable so ALWAYS turn the pwoer off for plugging or unplugging nything.

Get that far and then add one thing at a time and check that everything works. The next best is to install the floppy drive.

Probably insall a CD-ROM or burner or?? before the hard drive. You will want to install the motherboard drivers at the first opportunity.

Hopefully you will have all of the latest drivers for the other hardware and have backed up all key data.

From here you may have to ask for other advice in this thread. If you were putting in a new hard drive and then going to install the operating system it is simple. I'm not exactly sure what you will run into when putting in a drive that already has the XP operating system. My guess is that you will end up installing XP over itself [not saying reformat install, just over itself, hopefully you won't lose any data. Then you can put your other cards in. One at a time is nice because you can better control putting in the drivers without XP deciding to put in the ones that they want.

Eventually XP will tell you that you have to call MS to reinitialize your product activation. Apparently it gives you an 800 number and is no problem when you tell them hat you have done.

Good luck and enjoy the video work. Toni Hackler. a Moderator in number of the forums, does a lot of Video work with her 3.0 Intel P4. You might want to exchange knowledge. The mods all post their CNET email address.

Collapse -
Re: Well you already bought the materials so

In reply to: Well you already bought the materials so

Thanks for your help, everything went smoothly. I just finished but I haven't seen anything about re-activating yet.

Collapse -
Fantastic, was pretty sure that you

In reply to: Re: Well you already bought the materials so

would be successfl by the knowledge understanding that you showed in your posts.

Thank you so very much for letting us know how things came out. We forum people really appreciate that.

Possibly the number of things that you changed didn't exceed MS's threashold for re-activation.

Enjoy smoother video work.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.