PC Hardware forum

General discussion

New monitor today, need video card recommendation

by Pammylu / August 4, 2006 2:56 PM PDT

Today I bought (and absolutely LOVE) a new NEC 20WMGX2 monitor (flat TFT, 20", 16:10 aspect (!), all the bells and whistles. I connected it to my PC which is running XP Pro, Intel P4, 3Ghz, 1GB RAM, with a GeForce FX 5200 PCI video card.

The montior is supposed to be running at 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz for optimal performance. My card is only giving me 1440 x 900, and tech support said that it came out just before the wide aspect monitors went mainstream, so it won't go there.

I spent plenty on the monitor and don't want to spend much on the card, just enough to do the trick. What's a sweet spot for my needs.... thx!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New monitor today, need video card recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New monitor today, need video card recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on what kind of slot you have
by smulla26 / August 4, 2006 3:57 PM PDT

Well I'm not sure but you might want to upgrade your card to the GeForce 6000 or 7000 series because usually those cards would give you a higher resolution, but you have to remember most new cards are now AGP 8x or PCI express, so unless your planning to buy a new motherboard to support your new videocard your pretty much out of luck.

If your planning ot go to a cheaper route you might want to consider cards from ATI or Diamond you can check their website and see if they sell any low range cards for your budget.

Collapse -
PCI slot currently...
by Pammylu / August 4, 2006 5:54 PM PDT

As I mentioned in my first post, I currently have a PCI card. As you note, many boards today are AGP 8x, so I'll probably find myself with an ATI Radeon of some variety, if Fry's has any PCI versions. Thanks for the help.

If anyone else has a more specific steer on this, as to a model number to get by with the 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz, please let me know. I also need it to be a DVI connection to get the most out of this new monitor.
Thx! --Pam

Collapse -
New monitor..............
by 09Bentley / August 5, 2006 12:27 PM PDT

If your old monitor was a CRT you will need to update your video driver. Go to your video card mfg'r website and download the proper driver and install it. I had this same problem when I bought an LCD monitor for an IBM
NetVista. Couldn't get proper resolution size. After downloading and installing the new driver--no more problem!

Collapse -
by abstraqts / August 5, 2006 2:50 PM PDT

Have you checked NewEgg's website? I am sure that they would have what you are looking for. Just set your price range and slot and you will be fine!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?