Computer Help forum

General discussion

new monitor help

by thirdrail2002 / October 18, 2007 3:30 AM PDT

My CRT monitor turns to a yellow color so I decided to buy a new LCD monitor. Thing is that the one I want has a native resolution of 1440x900. On my PC under Display Properties that's not one of the resolutions available. I've read that it's best to use an LCD monitor at it's native resolution.

I was told by customer support that it's my graphics card (pretty old) that doesn't support the resolution and that I should get a new one. But I've also been told that the reason that particular resolution doesn't show up is because my current monitor doesn't support it but when I buy the new one LCD monitor that 1440x900 resolution will be available?

So anyone know which is it? It's weird because with this monitor it goes upwards of 1440x900.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new monitor help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new monitor help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's Windows
by Jimmy Greystone / October 18, 2007 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: new monitor help

It's Windows that is limiting your options. It will only show resolutions that your video card and monitor both support. So if you have a standard CRT monitor and are looking at a widescreen LCD, you're not going to see a widescreen resolution listed. If the possible resolutions for your current setup exceed 1440x900, 1600x1200 for example, then you shouldn't have a problem.

LCD monitors are a bit different from CRTs, in that they have fixed native resolutions. 1440x900 is the maximum resolution for that monitor, but it would be able to support lower ones. Just not as finely grained as CRTs. I have a 20.1" LCD, and it's native resolutions are something like 1600x1200, 1200x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480. Those are the only resolutions it can scale to the entire screen. It might be able to do other resolutions, but they will likely involve a black border around the display.

Collapse -
by thirdrail2002 / October 18, 2007 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It's Windows

Yeah, with the resolutions now it does go up to 1600x1200. So there shouldn't be a problem buying that monitor? It's a Samsung 19" 932BW.

Collapse -
Or you need to install the MONITOR.INF for the new display
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: new monitor help

Most systems won't show all possible display resolutions but limit the list to just what Windows thinks the current display will handle.

Therefore your new resolution is rarely on the list until the MONITOR.INF file for the new display is installed.

Bob

Collapse -
I did just that yesterday.
by BrianZachary / October 18, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

I have been using my friend's flat panel monitor for a couple months and just realized that I never put in the driver for this monitor. I went to the site of the monitor's manufacturer and they had the driver available for download. I downloaded and installed the driver and now I have the driver for this monitor.

I read at some forums about this monitor being a plug & play that it doesn't need a driver. I don't care, I like to have to correct driver for whatever I am using.

I don't know if I understand what exactly a "native resolution" is supposed to be, but I've never had any problems by changing a screen resolution to whatever I want. As long as it's available on the list of selections, you shouldn't have a problem. If the monitor or video card couldn't handle it, I don't think it would be on the list.

Collapse -
Open the monitor.inf with NOTEPAD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

You'll find some interesting items. Also, some monitors are PnP but that means that Microsoft would have the MONITOR.INF in their install...

I can't count on that.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.