General discussion

new modem airport

Comcast hooked up a new cable modem for me today now I cant get online using my apple airport base station. I can go online if I use ethernet from the modem to my imac. I dont know if there is a setting in my airport that is looking for my old cable modem. Noone seems to have an answer. any help?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: new modem airport
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: new modem airport
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry.

I'd have to know a wee bit more. Such as the model/make of the Comcast MTA (or modem as you may call this black box.)

Bob

- Collapse -
info

Arris cable modem from Comcast. Apple Airport extreme base station white

- Collapse -
model

Arris model tm402p/110

- Collapse -
OK, that's just a cable modem.

The data I see on it shows no router or such in that box.

Your prior connection being DSL likely had someone configure the airport to logon to the DSL ISP. Now you have to reset the airport to it's stock settings then connect the ethernet to the airport and it may just work.

Bob

- Collapse -
not dsl

was not dsl i was using a motorola box before now this new one both cable modem. tried a hard reset still connects to network, isp, but fails at internet and server

- Collapse -
router

looked at airport settings utility there was nothing listed under router address. is that the problem should it be the same as isp?

- Collapse -
Shot in the dark

and I'm sure you have tried this.

Power down everything. Modem, airport, computers.

Bring them back up again one at a time. Modem, airport, computer.

Take a look at the Airport Utility and see what IP address it has. It "shoud" have a Comcast IP address.
169.x.x.x does not cut it

P

- Collapse -
OK, I'll try silly.

One person didn't connect the airport to the cable modem. "It's wireless, isn't it?"

I can't know the prior configuration but some providers have you log on (like DSL) so it's important you start with the airport defaults which I know work with the Comcasts I've done so far.

In no uncertain words... If I have a new airport I can pull it out of the box, connect it to the cable modem and it just works with almost no configuration. So that's what we want.

Bob

- Collapse -
true

the great thing about apple is it works. I don't know what the problem is and have spent alot of time on it what if I would get say a cheap netgear wireless router and hook it up, it should automatically pick up the settings right? It was to be something I am not seeing in the airport settings because the imac hooked up to the cable modem via ethernet cable works. Thanks for the help!

- Collapse -
With the Airport connected to the Modem

The WAN side of the Airport should display an IP address.

Does it?

P

- Collapse -
Same problem here???

Hello was this resolved, if so how? I just ran into this same exact problem.
I went to a friends house to setup up his wireless airport extreme (white, 1 phone modem, 2 ethernet WAN/LAN ports) to his recently installed Arris cable modem. When I arrived the cable modem was plugged into his MacBooks ethernet port and working perfectly. I unplugged it from the MacBook and plugged it into the APEx WAN port. I used AP Utility to set it up using DHCP with cable and dsl modem. Nothing worked. The MacBook sees the airport and hooks to the wireless network I created but no internet or mail capabilities. This stumped me, I've set up a number of airports using the DHCP setting and they just worked.

- Collapse -
Assuming you have read all the above,

what is the IP address that is being displayed by the WAN side of the Airport and what is the IP address being shown on the Macbook?

P

CNET Forums