Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

new modem airport

by f.r.w.d. / May 2, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

Comcast hooked up a new cable modem for me today now I cant get online using my apple airport base station. I can go online if I use ethernet from the modem to my imac. I dont know if there is a setting in my airport that is looking for my old cable modem. Noone seems to have an answer. any help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new modem airport
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new modem airport
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: new modem airport

I'd have to know a wee bit more. Such as the model/make of the Comcast MTA (or modem as you may call this black box.)

Bob

Collapse -
info
by f.r.w.d. / May 2, 2007 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Arris cable modem from Comcast. Apple Airport extreme base station white

Collapse -
model
by f.r.w.d. / May 2, 2007 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: info

Arris model tm402p/110

Collapse -
OK, that's just a cable modem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: model

The data I see on it shows no router or such in that box.

Your prior connection being DSL likely had someone configure the airport to logon to the DSL ISP. Now you have to reset the airport to it's stock settings then connect the ethernet to the airport and it may just work.

Bob

Collapse -
not dsl
by f.r.w.d. / May 2, 2007 9:10 PM PDT

was not dsl i was using a motorola box before now this new one both cable modem. tried a hard reset still connects to network, isp, but fails at internet and server

Collapse -
router
by f.r.w.d. / May 2, 2007 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: not dsl

looked at airport settings utility there was nothing listed under router address. is that the problem should it be the same as isp?

Collapse -
Shot in the dark
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: router

and I'm sure you have tried this.

Power down everything. Modem, airport, computers.

Bring them back up again one at a time. Modem, airport, computer.

Take a look at the Airport Utility and see what IP address it has. It "shoud" have a Comcast IP address.
169.x.x.x does not cut it

P

Collapse -
OK, I'll try silly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: not dsl

One person didn't connect the airport to the cable modem. "It's wireless, isn't it?"

I can't know the prior configuration but some providers have you log on (like DSL) so it's important you start with the airport defaults which I know work with the Comcasts I've done so far.

In no uncertain words... If I have a new airport I can pull it out of the box, connect it to the cable modem and it just works with almost no configuration. So that's what we want.

Bob

Collapse -
true
by f.r.w.d. / May 2, 2007 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: OK, I'll try silly.

the great thing about apple is it works. I don't know what the problem is and have spent alot of time on it what if I would get say a cheap netgear wireless router and hook it up, it should automatically pick up the settings right? It was to be something I am not seeing in the airport settings because the imac hooked up to the cable modem via ethernet cable works. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
With the Airport connected to the Modem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: true

The WAN side of the Airport should display an IP address.

Does it?

P

Collapse -
Same problem here???
by lantzn / February 19, 2008 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: new modem airport

Hello was this resolved, if so how? I just ran into this same exact problem.
I went to a friends house to setup up his wireless airport extreme (white, 1 phone modem, 2 ethernet WAN/LAN ports) to his recently installed Arris cable modem. When I arrived the cable modem was plugged into his MacBooks ethernet port and working perfectly. I unplugged it from the MacBook and plugged it into the APEx WAN port. I used AP Utility to set it up using DHCP with cable and dsl modem. Nothing worked. The MacBook sees the airport and hooks to the wireless network I created but no internet or mail capabilities. This stumped me, I've set up a number of airports using the DHCP setting and they just worked.

Collapse -
Assuming you have read all the above,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem here???

what is the IP address that is being displayed by the WAN side of the Airport and what is the IP address being shown on the Macbook?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?