General discussion

new mobo install help

hi i've bought an asrock k7s41 to take over from my old back caps mobo. this was the only mobo i could find that suited what i already had. i knew it was m-atx as opposed to the old ATX board but i hoped i could pop it in and maybe drill an extra fixing hole if i needed to.

now i've marked the fixing holes from the new asrock board and offered them up to the plate in my case i've got problems. there are 2 big round air vents at low level for a start. also on the mobo there are 3 corner fixing holes and about 7 holes with solder marked H1 to H8 which are slightly bigger and i'm not sure if i'm supposed to borrow them for fixing.

1) so my choices seem to be drill new holes anywhere i can get them in and use them. also the holes in the case are tapped so i would need to find another type of fixing arrangement for any new holes drilled. can you recommend anything?
2) maybe get a new or matching back plate or perhaps more likely a new case which might suit it.

are there any other options available to me?

appreciate any help thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: new mobo install help
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: new mobo install help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Do any locations on the MB plate (where you would

use the brass standoffs)line up with mounting holes in the MB ? If yes...all you need is two ...three brass standoffs at most to hold the MB in place. The other mounting locations can often be supported by the white plastic standoffs with the small portion above the widest round part removed (see link below). The wide round part then becomes the base which sits on the MB plate keeping the MB from shorting out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00213K9MS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00008VF6K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BH90AW94H2C5B0F2RMJ

Let us know.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
thanks for reply

ok i'll try and be clearer. the new mobo is an m-atx board with only 3 corner fixing holes, and about 7 other holes marked H1 thru 8, these have solder around and i'm guessing they are just spare holes for electronics that aren't needed on this board. potentially though i could use them for support or fixing if needds be. it's an old pc so it's ok to drill.

if i just drop the new board, i have no old fixing holes that correspond with the new board (doh!). worse still 1 of the bottom holes on the mobo hangs over a large round vent hole in the backing plate so i can't use that.

so i can either try and drill and fix somewhere on the back plate, even though i have no idea what size screws they are or what fixings i'd need, or perhaps fit or manufacture a new back plate that has corresponding holes, or find a new case with the right holes. if i bought a new atx case do you think it would have the holes for a m-atx board? that sounds less hassle. i'm concerened if i bought an m-atx case my old atx bits might be a struggle to fit in.

an ideas welcome.

- Collapse -
This doesn't sound like a standard case to me.

I can't believe you can't find at least 3 locations (H1-HCool where there are no "threaded holes" for the standoff. A new case cost around $30 (sometime power supply included).

- Collapse -
If you cannot find two mounting points in the MB that line

up with two locations on the MB plate where you can mount brass standoffs, you can either drill into the MB plate and thread it for at least 2 brass standoffs or get an ATX case that matches the mounting holes in MB plate and the MB.

All the other mounting points can be supported with the plastic standoffs recommended previously.

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
Whatever you do, don't drill

These are multi layer and nothing visible top or bottom doesn't mean nothing sandwiched in between. If you've got mounting hole problems, see if you can move the standoffs around on the mounting plate to accommodate. Drilling will be an instant voiding of any warranty. If you've no other options with your existing case, a replacement doesn't have to be that expensive.

CNET Forums

Forum Info