Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New Memory Card - it's not working.....

by calventeng / April 7, 2010 10:10 PM PDT

Hi there, I got a 8GB memory card(gift) from a friend but it's just not working. When I tried to insert into the card reader and connect to the computer, the new device/ drive just never shown.... When I insert it into my digital camera, it shows memory card error...

May I know what's going on? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Memory Card - it's not working.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Memory Card - it's not working.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That can be proper (and annoying.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2010 10:46 PM PDT

These 8GB cards are called SDHC (see google for the long name) and what you have may only support SD cards. SD cards are usually 2GB and under.

The common workaround for the card reader is another card reader. There are also limitations to Windows 98 with these cards so I can't tell if that applies.

XP didn't support this either. Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944345

If your computer and reader does support the 8GB SDHC you may need to format the card. Here's how -> http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

"SD or SDHC memory card file systems formatted with generic operating system formatting software do not comply with official SD memory card requirements and optimum performance may not be experienced."

This is why we use the sdcard.org tool on these old machines.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the replied~
by calventeng / April 7, 2010 11:22 PM PDT

Hey there, I am using Mac instead of Windows though and I bought it by end of 2007.... The camera I am using now is Canon which just bought last July... I wonder would it be still those gadgets problems?

Cheers!

Collapse -
About the Mac.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2010 11:26 PM PDT

SDHC is still very new stuff. Ask this in the CNET Apple Forums where folk know what works. Be sure to tell what Mac and what version OS. Details matter.

As to the Canon, no model so I can't check if it supports SDHC. Many cameras even bought this year only support SD.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks~
by calventeng / April 7, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: About the Mac.

Hi there, I am using Mac 10.5.2 but will drops a note to CNET Apple Forums later on, thanks!
By the way, I am using Canon SD1200 IS, which supports SDHC though (as information tht I found online).....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?