MacBooks forum

General discussion

New Macbook Pro 13 inch has 1.5 Gigabits SATA connector

by M_Man633 / June 15, 2009 10:22 AM PDT

I have decided to buy a 13 inch Macbook Pro and just recently found out that the SATA speed has been DOWNGRADED (***!!!) Will this affect the speed of a stock (from the apple website) 320GB Hard Drive in any possible way? If so please tell. I have heard mainly from people that have upgraded themselves with a SSD(solid state drive) Is this true and only relevant for the SSDs? Or is this a problem for normal HDDs too? Help Please!(keep me away from buyers remorse) Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Macbook Pro 13 inch has 1.5 Gigabits SATA connector
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Macbook Pro 13 inch has 1.5 Gigabits SATA connector
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Many PCs do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2009 11:05 AM PDT

It's just a shade more reliable and one of those "on-paper" might be slower. I've tried hard disks with the 1.5Gb jumper on and off and only in benchmarks found it to be noticeable.

Sounds like a good move. Give up a tiny bit of speed for more reliable operations.
Bob

Collapse -
Relyability not an issue
by tipoo_ / June 16, 2009 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Many PCs do that.

I have never heard of SATA II drives being less reliable than SATA I, do you have a link for that?

It probably doesnt matter much with the current 5400RPM hard drives being shipped with the MBP, but its pretty uncool of them to hamper future upgrades like that. And it DEFINITELY matters if you plan on going SSD.

Collapse -
Just me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 7:33 AM PDT

Sorry to see you upset over a minor ripple in the designs. Good luck and don't buy stuff you don't like!

Collapse -
Eh
by tipoo_ / June 16, 2009 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Just me.

I'm not upset, just giving the facts.

Collapse -
The fact is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Eh

Simple. Take a few machines with 3.0Gb SATA and test them. Now pull the hard disk and put that jumper on and re-test. Only in benchmarks could I tell I put the jumper on. The difference was less than a percent point.

Have you done such tests?

And just a preemptive question. Did you look for such tests? Hint: I think this test has been done to death. I'm ashamed to say I did it too.
Bob

Collapse -
I never said otherwise
by tipoo_ / June 17, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: The fact is.

I never said the SATA1.5Gib/s limit would affect everyone, just those looking to SSD's a few years down the line. Of course, the 5400RPM drives currently offered with the Macbook Pro's will never hit the 150mb/s barrier.

Collapse -
thanks
by M_Man633 / June 17, 2009 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: I never said otherwise

thanks for clearing that up

Collapse -
P.s
by tipoo_ / June 17, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

By the way, I've been doing some googling and still havnt found anything that says SATA II is less relyable than SATA I, do you have a specific source?

Collapse -
ME!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: P.s

Having to deal with some untold number of machines each year one of the tricks of the trade to make a machine behave is to.... You guessed it.

I'll leave it to you to wonder why.
Bob

Collapse -
lol
by tipoo_ / June 17, 2009 7:41 AM PDT
In reply to: ME!

Ok, that will be the topic of thought for the next couple of days Wink

Collapse -
Yes and No
by M_Man633 / June 17, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

I did not do any tests but I found some graphs some other person had made on the macrumours website

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?