MacBooks forum

General discussion

new mac user needs help with music files

by quoddyfox / December 6, 2010 10:54 AM PST

I am happily now a mac user..I have gotten more fed up with microsoft after each OS "improvement" since win 95.

I do have one problem I could use help with... I lost all my belongings in a house fire and only have survived wma files backed up...I need a way to reformat them for itunes format..I am not having much luck on my own..

MAC rules..I love the OS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new mac user needs help with music files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new mac user needs help with music files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not much out there
by Jimmy Greystone / December 6, 2010 11:30 AM PST

There's really not much out there to do this. Probably half the programs that claim to do it are scams of some sort or another, virtually all the rest are vastly overpriced. And every time you convert from one format to another, there's an inevitable loss of quality. WMA doesn't really have any quality to spare, so this probably isn't the greatest of ideas.

While not the most convenient solution, you might find it better to just listen to the WMA files using something like VLC Player.

Collapse -
Another solution would be
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 8:57 PM PST

to find a friend with a PC, and iTunes, and import the tracks into itunes.
Then make a CD of them and import them back into your iTunes.

iTunes "might", on the Mac, handle them if they are not compressed in any way

Worth a try

P

Collapse -
Back to the PC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2010 1:00 AM PST
Collapse -
It works
by iancoruther / December 19, 2010 4:32 PM PST
In reply to: Back to the PC?

R Proffitt's shared link works, I converted several wma files now I can play those songs on my iTunes thanks a lot

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.