Mac OS forum

General discussion

new mac user assistance please

by killr_klown / August 19, 2006 7:02 AM PDT

After a quick search on both google and on this site i need some help with my new mac. having been pc person since Win3.1 I'm having a hard time getting around when installing and uninstalling programs.

Ist problem - how do i install prgrams properly? I downloaded firefox and after what appeared to be an installation i was given a screen with three options that i have no idea what they are. The firefox icon is on the left side but i can drag it into the middel of the screen where there is a shodowed copy of the icon with an arrow and a plus. the other option is i believe the applications folder. What is it i'm supposed to do on this screen please?

Also no matter what i do i have a drive on my desktop with the icon over the top of it. If i eject it then the program is gone!? I'm just confused I guess, but after i installed Firefox there was no icon in the applications folder.

The second problem is uninstalling. Is there an uninstall tool like windows? I was told by someone that you can just drag the icon to the trash but now that i've already added the wrong lexmark printer one folder will not delete because it says it is being used.

Is there a total newbie guide somewhere on the net? I checked apple but i could not find anything resembling what i require to get familiar with this new OS.

Thank you all in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: new mac user assistance please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: new mac user assistance please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Drag and drop the App into the Trash. Seriously :)
by udayan71 / August 19, 2006 7:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Heads up, here we go
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 19, 2006 10:47 AM PDT

We'll deal with Firefox first.
When you downloaded the Firefox program it was in the form of a .DMG.
This is like a disk image and, once the original file is expanded, it appears on the desktop looking like a drive.
Usually the drive opens and you end up looking at a window. If now, just double click the drive and the window will open.
Not all programs have installers, as you recognize them. This is primarily due to the fact that most programs for the Mac are self contained and do not spread their stuff all over the place.
Opening the Firefox disk you will see a window with a number of icons in it. One should be called Firefox. Drag it to the Applications folder by way of the LH pane of the window.
Close the FF window and you should be left with a drive icon on the desktop. Drag it to the trash, it's job is done. You will also have the original .dmg file in whatever place you download files to.
You can delete that too. Before you do, just for fits grins and giggles, double click it and poof, there is that icon and window again and the FF icon is still there. You can safely throw the .dmg and the disk icon into the trash.
Now go to the applications folder and drag FF into the dock. Just a regular left drag will work. Once it is in the dock, let go and an Alias will be created in the dock. Like a shortcut but not quite.
Click the FF icon in the dock will launch the program.
Some programs have installers, some of those will put an icon in the dock for you. It's easy to do, no biggie.

When it comes to deleting programs, if it had an installer, it may well have an uninstaller. If not, drag the entire folder to the trash and you're done. Remember I said that a lot of programs live entirely inside their own folder and apart from the preference file, that's all that needs to be deleted.
Files that the Finder claims to be in use can be deleted after you have rebooted the machine. If an item is in the trash, then the system cannot possibly be using it.
To delete printers, open the Printer Setup Utility, select the printer and choose delete from the menubar. No folders needed.

When you open any window, like double click the HD, you will see on the LH side a list of folders. This is not quite the same as the Explorer but is customizable. Just drag any folder that you would like to appear in that column, into it, and an icon will be created. I like to have the Utilities folder, usually inside the applications folder, in that pane. Makes it easier to find stuff quick.

Mac OS X(choose the version of OS X that you have) for dummies, don't let the title put you off, is a very good starter book for a complete newbie.

Enjoy your Mac and if you have any other questions, just holler

P

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and the award for the most comprehensive post... :)
by udayan71 / August 19, 2006 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Heads up, here we go
Collapse -
Comprehensive Post
by taboma / August 19, 2006 4:03 PM PDT

Why not try to explain it in place of criticising others that supply the correct help from the word GETGO!
If you knew the answer you should have posted it.
Go to Microsoft for Dummies. You will learn a lot.
Look up TROLL in the Index.

Ahhaa, There you are! Grow Up will you. Sixteen going on twee? Didn't your parents teach you anything? Guess not.

If you want, I will link you up to an equally significant person as yourself and educate you on how to post.
Watch out for this guy. He can delete all. I trained him. Knows how to trash a file and more. Pretty good at it. Probably over-trained.
Just go to to this Link and view him. Really nasty animal and spends too much time on breaks?Likes to eat a lot. An animal lover.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2084/evilgorillaop7.jpg

He has a sister that can be your slave. Likes to sunbathe.
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/2034/summergorillawe9.jpg

Do you like the family? They can teach you a lot. The sister is hot!
You're not.

-Kevin

PS. Here is my photo:
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4700/lovelyyounggirldx6.jpg

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did I offend you somewhere? :S
by udayan71 / August 20, 2006 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Comprehensive Post
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?