Cameras forum

General discussion

New Lens, Digital Rebel

I have a Digital Rebel with the original 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens. With a years experience behind me I am considering investing in a good lens now.

Last year I did OK getting shots of fireworks, parades and more. Now I am placing myself in a time crunch and wondering if July 4, (parades, fireworks) and a family wedding (not a huge deal but I'd like to take a few good pics in the church) are a good reason for a new Canon lens? I am looking at the Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus Lens. This would be for the above, people shots, landscapes and that sort of thing. As I take more pictures I see more interest in certain things. These are what I listed as most popular. But it is hard to determine what lens is a best addition.

I am interested in opinions before I spend $800+ (UV, polarizer, hood, etc...).

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Lens, Digital Rebel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Lens, Digital Rebel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lots of Sample Shots with the 10-22

In reply to: New Lens, Digital Rebel

Collapse -
I like the 17-85mm myself. It will go almost as wide as the

In reply to: New Lens, Digital Rebel

10-22, and will also do a better job of pulling in distant objects. It would give good coverage out to the the area where your 75-300mm works. It is stablilized and has USM.

Collapse -
A prefered choice !

In reply to: I like the 17-85mm myself. It will go almost as wide as the

I suggest that you go for Canon 17-40 F4L instead with slightly higher price. The extra-wide zoom lense, 10-22mm EFS, shows a great deal of distortion and strange color effect when shooting in the dimmer light. Meanwhile, I don't suggest to go any lense whose F below 4 either, consider the price performance - too expensive and rarely use. Unless you need to take the picture in the dark without using any external flash, you'll need Canon 16-35 F2.8L. Photographers mostly shoot their pictures at the F-stop from 4 to 16.

If you want to take seriously portrait type of picture, Canon 85mm F1.8 USM will be an ideal. Good luck.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I have seen no problems with photos taken by the 10-22.

In reply to: A prefered choice !

Collapse -
Try this..

In reply to: (NT) I have seen no problems with photos taken by the 10-22.

Look at border & edge of picture closely compare that to the regular wide-angle lense. You'll see some distortion. Meanwhile, the picture's color look a bit gloomy comparing to other Canon L-lenses and regular lense, shooting under the insufficient light condition with tripod.

Collapse -
Ummm, I would not expect it to compare favorably with an L

In reply to: Try this..

lense, but it doesn't cost what an L lense costs either. The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus costs $1,400 at B&H. The 10-22 costs $800. I just took some wide angle shots which I will look more closely at.

Collapse -
You were right !

In reply to: Ummm, I would not expect it to compare favorably with an L

Yes.. It's true that the picture quality shooting by the Canon EFS lenses isn't comparable to that by EF-L-series lenses. But, not every L-series is good for all kind of use.

Canon 16-35 mm F2.8L overcomes Canon 17-40 F4L under the condition that light is extremely minimum. But, overall, 17-40 F4L are more common use and nearly $4-500 cheaper. Going for more F-stop eventually trades off the picture contrast.Under the outdoor light, 17-40mm F4L shoots better than 16-35mm F2.8L. So, it depends upon how far you want to shoot and spend for. Upon my knowledge, the design of wide angle-lense is very difficult. The shooting pictures show lots of distortion and unrealistic look, no exception even a very good lense, quite expensive, like Canon 14-mm F2.8L ( around $ 2,100 ). I guess that people view them differently. So, it depends solely on each individual's taste.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!