Computer Help forum

General discussion

New LCD Screen Wont Work: Dell Inspiron 1720

hello,

so i got a new lcd screen for my dell inspiron 1720 laptop. Upon, installing the new lcd screen didnt work. It just flashed white then went back to black, but I could see the backlight on with no image. I was then told by the seller [from ebay] that the new inverter card may not be compatible with my system. He then explained how to fix it, but I couldn't understand what he was talking about.

btw here is the transcript:

"It looks the NEW inverter card may not be compatible with your DELL system. The LCD should be ok. Could you swap your OLD inverter back to the NEW LCD screen.

The inverter card at the bottom of your old screen does NOT need to be attached to the NEW screen. DELL makes some of your model brand NEW like this. DELL leaves the inverter card inside screen case. It does NOT attached to the bottom of LCD panel.

Once you swap the inverter card to the NEW screen and connect the LCD cable, you are ready to use. We have sold at least 100 such screens for your laptop model. No problem so far. "

can someone lead me to the right direction? just confused and frustrated.

thank you for your time and consideration,
b00mbax2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New LCD Screen Wont Work: Dell Inspiron 1720
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New LCD Screen Wont Work: Dell Inspiron 1720
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Basically

In reply to: New LCD Screen Wont Work: Dell Inspiron 1720

Basically the inverter board is the little thing at the bottom of the display that feels like it will snap off if you aren't really careful around it.

This isn't the exact right part, but it will give you some idea about what the inverter board looks like.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=5829

And I'm a bit skeptical about the claim of the ebay seller, and I say that as a Dell certified tech, but inverter boards are generally pretty cheap, and it shouldn't be too difficult to swap inverter boards compared to swapping displays on a laptop. You also neglected to mention why you bought a new display for your laptop.

But their rather poor english skills aside, they're basically saying to take the inverter board from your old display, put it on the new display, and see if that works. Seems more likely to me you got a DOA display, but it should take maybe 5-10 minutes to try the inverter swap and see if it does anything.

Also, having done a few display replacements in my time, did you ensure that the ribbon cable on the back of the display is in properly? And there's usually a connection that goes to the inverter board. Is that connected firmly?

Collapse -
light, but no image...

In reply to: Basically

oh i forgot to mention that I bought the new lcd because my old lcd screen had issues on dimming/tinting/redding of the screen. Also, when I did swap inverter boards [old inverter to new lcd screen] and it didn't work. It just flashed white, abruptly, then turns black. There is light but no image [so i assume the backlight is working?].

I am pretty sure I have everything connected properly, but I have 1 question. What is that cable that attaches near the top of the laptop[near the webcam]? It connects to the LCD connectors on the back, is this for the camera?

Collapse -
I haven't seen

In reply to: light, but no image...

I haven't seen that specific display, but if there's an integrated webcam, odds are that's what that cable is associated with.

The problem with these things, is that it could be a bad display, but it could also be a bad video chip on the motherboard. You really can't tell which without replacing them both.

If I were in your situation, I would request that the ebay seller send you another display on the grounds that yours appears DOA. If it still doesn't work, then you're probably going to need to swap motherboards. And I would recommend checking the price of that model with that parts-people site I linked to above. I have absolutely no affiliation with them except having used them to secure parts for out of warranty systems in the past, and being quite satisfied.

Collapse -

In reply to: I haven't seen

so i received a message from the ebay seller and said:

"You could swap the OLD inverter to the NEW screen.

You could remove your OLD inverter card off the inverter bracket, there is one small philips screw. Then you will be able to remove the inverter card off the bracket.

Then you could leave your old inverter card inside the screen plastic case. And remove the NEW inverter card off from the new screen. It could be the new inverter card not working well with your specific DELL system. You do NOT need to attached the inverter card to the NEW LCD bottom. You could leave the inverter card inside the screen plastic case."

i understand this, but I just don't understand the last two things he said because he says to switch inverter boards, but says that you do not have to attach the inverter card to the lcd bottom.

also, what does he mean the inverter card inside the screen plastic case?

thanks

Collapse -
That's a good question

In reply to: ...

That's a good question, because they seem to be contradicting themselves. First they say to switch the inverter boards, then say that you don't need to switch them.

Honestly, at this point, I'm starting to think the seller is just giving you the runaround and trying to run down the clock on any kind of return window. I'd recommend taking a firm stance with them, saying you've tried swapping inverters and it didn't change anything. So you would either like to exchange the part you have, declaring it DOA, or get a refund for a DOA part. And as the stick to tie those carrots to, make it clear that you will open a dispute case with ebay over it if they do not go with one of the other options. Both of which any reputable seller should be willing to do.

If they won't exchange it for another, I'd suggest checking www.parts-people.com for one. I have no affiliation with them, aside from being a satisfied customer. They kind of specialize in Dell laptop parts and have pretty reasonable prices. Unless marked, all products sold are pulled from decommissioned systems (i.e. used) but they are guaranteed to work or they'll exchange it or refund your money. So like I said before, two options that any reputable seller should be quite willing to accept.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.