Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

New laptopwith Win 7 can't connect to websites. Help Please

by wirefan / November 10, 2010 6:22 PM PST

I bought a new Samsung R710 (with Win 7 on it)laptop yesterday & the wireless on it say its excellent. It loads only the site Google and takes forever on everything else. The router I have is a Netgear CG814WG v2. The router is hooked up to a desktop that has xp. I also have another wireless desktop that has xp and that also works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks

I`ve also been to the Samsung website for this problem only once I click on the page for the solution it says "page doesn't exist."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New laptopwith Win 7 can't connect to websites. Help Please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New laptopwith Win 7 can't connect to websites. Help Please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Strange
by MDFlax / November 10, 2010 6:49 PM PST

With web site connection problems it is usually "all or nothing", and yet you say this new laptop with Windows 7 will display Google with no problems, but nothing else.

Is Google your Home Page in this browser? Which browser are you using?

If Google is your Home Page, are you able to search for anything from this Google page, and then click on links from any Google listing to go to other sites? If not, what happens when you try?

Tell us about the firewall on this system.

You say that you have a Desktop PC is hard wired to the router, and another Desktop PC which is wirelessly connected to the router, and they both work fine.

With your new Windows 7 laptop, have you set up a proper wireless connection? That includes any encryption like WAP or WPA2.

Mark

Collapse -
Computer info
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 8:37 PM PST
In reply to: Strange

I'm using Internet Explorer for a browser. Google is the homepage.
I can search within Google but if I search for let's say Amazon and click to
open it, the web page will not load.
The wireless connection I have set up is WPA-Personal.

I have the windows firewall on.

I`m not an experienced computer person.
So if I'm giving wrong info sorry.

Collapse -
Re: no connection
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 10, 2010 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Computer info

And what happens if you type www.amazon.com in the address bar and press <enter>. Does it connect then?

In that case, your issue seems to be: links don't work. No link at all? For example, once in amazon.com, can you use the list of departments (books, electronics) and the list of product groups that popup to go to, say, TV and video and then click on one of the products that come up in the "This weeks savings" for example?

Kees

Collapse -
Links
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re: no connection

Links only open within Google. So i can type a website in google which opens a list of google search results. From there I can't get a site to open.

Collapse -
As Kees says
by MDFlax / November 10, 2010 8:56 PM PST
In reply to: Computer info

What happens if you type in www.amazon.com in the Address bar in IE. Not in the search box, but the address bar, then press Enter?

In any Google listing, what happens when you click a link? Any error messages?

Mark

Collapse -
Slowly Loading
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 9:10 PM PST
In reply to: As Kees says

If I type in www.amazon.com in the address box it slowly loads. So far nothing appears though because its loading so slowly.

Collapse -
So its working then, but just slowly?
by MDFlax / November 10, 2010 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: Slowly Loading

If it is loading albeit slowly, then there is nothing wrong with your browser.

IE8 has a "Status bar" at the bottom of the browser. When you click a link, or when you type an address in the address bar and press the Enter key, this status bar will show status messages about IE's attempt to load the web page, eg;

"Waiting for http://www.amazon.com...." or "xx items loading", where xx is a number, or other messages.

What does your Status bar show when you click a link from within a Google listing page? What does it say when you are loading Amazon.com?

Tell us more about the security software you use, for example, anti-virus, and other anti-spyware or ant-malware utilities.

Mark

Collapse -
webpage then says
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Slowly Loading

internet explorer cannot display this page

Collapse -
security software.
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: webpage then says

I`m going to use norton software that comes from Comcast.
I can only get to use this once I have a internet connection.
So with no internet I can't get the anti virus on the computer.

Also about the slow internet i waited after typing www.amazon.com in the address bar. Once the page finally loaded it said "internet explorer cannot display this page."

Collapse -
This is getting confusing.
by MDFlax / November 10, 2010 9:54 PM PST
In reply to: security software.

You said you brought this laptop yesterday. If it had Windows 7 pre-installed then this is an OEM system, (Original Equipment Manufacture). Such systems often come with a 'trial version' of a security utility pre-installed, eg Nortons Internet Security, or McAfee, or similar.

1] Where did you get this system from and what pre-installed packages did it arrive with?

2] You say Comcast is your ISP, (Internet Service Provider), but what type of internet connection is it, eg Broadband, Dial-up?

3] Are the security settings set too high in IE? Open IE then go to Internet Options. In the Security tab, which security level is the slider set to? If it is set to High, drag the slider down until it says "Medium-high", then click Apply/OK.

4] Does this "internet explorer cannot display this page" error display with every page except Google's search listing page? Try others by typing the address in IE's address bar, eg www.cnet.com , www.nasa.gov , www.bbc.co uk , www.yahoo.com , www.bing.com . Tell us what happens with each.

Mark

Collapse -
i think you found the problem
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 10:04 PM PST

in ie under security tab it is set to high. But I can not get it to go to medium high. Its not an option to movie the tab at all.

Collapse -
There could be a couple or reasons for that.
by MDFlax / November 10, 2010 10:09 PM PST

Either you are not logged in to Windows 7 in an Admin capable account, or if you are, then there is some security software that is preventing changes being made to IE.

I know security utilities that does that, eg Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster, and there will be others, but I can't say what is installed on your machine.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: high security
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 10, 2010 10:19 PM PST

I don't think that's the issue. I see no reasons why you should be able to view google and not amazon with security for that zone (what zone?) set to high. In fact, google contains a lot more unsafe links than amazon!

But still it's a problem that you can't change the setting.

If I were you I would go back to the shop where you bought it and let them have a look. They surely can find the cause of the trouble if indeed it's only one day old and you hardly did anything with it yet.

Kees

Collapse -
thanks
by wirefan / November 10, 2010 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: high security

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for any confusion

Collapse -
Same issue as original poster
by WBIvie / May 23, 2011 4:17 AM PDT

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to say that my household is having the exact same problem. We have an older laptop with XP that can connect to the router and surf the Internet just fine...however, we now have 3 laptops with Windows 7, each bought at separate times, one is running the netbook "lite" version of 7, the other two have Windows 7 professional, 64 bit. Ironically, it's also the exact same router as the original poster...and seeing that I have to wonder if that particular router has issues with Windows 7. We've checked and double checked all the router settings and I see no problems with it.

So.we can connect to the signal, get an IP address, and like the original poster can get to Google and get search results, can get to gmail, and can even get to websites with VERY little image content, including ****.com. However, almost any website will eventually give a time-out notification. Also, I have found that I can ping every website I can't physically browse to and get fast responses. I'm relatively computer savvy, but a self-admitted noob when it comes to wireless and settings and whatever.

Also each laptop can connect to our local college's unsecured network and surf just fine, and each can connect and surf fine to a friends network that has the same security as our home.

I hope someone can help me out, because it's extremely frustrating.

Collapse -
also...
by WBIvie / May 23, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

I should mention we don't have comcast, but we are using Time Warner's roadrunner...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?