Laptops forum

Question

New Laptop for less than $1000

by Speedies / May 18, 2011 6:47 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop. It should be an allrounder. The screen should be about 13-15inches big and I would use that laptop for everything. Therefore, it should be good for a little bit of gaming, too.
And I think 64-bit would be great as well.

Furthermore, I'm looking for a laptop which I would buy here in the US but it should have warranty in Europe, especially Germany, too. Sony doesnt have international warranty so they're out of the equation.

I have been looking around a little bit and saw those this one:
ASUS N53SV-XE1http://www.pcworld.com/article/218117/asus_n53sv_fast_but_with_weak_input_ergonomics.html

I read that this laptop its performance is really good. However, I've read some keyboard issues and the weak batterie which only last less than an hour under full power.

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm looking for a brand and laptop which had a good reputation and is not famous for breaking after 1 year or so.Thank you very much!

Greetings,Speedies

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop for less than $1000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop for less than $1000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The battery is not WEAK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

It's just a big load.

While I suggest dual core i7 machines this one is great if HEAT and portability is a non-issue.

THIS IS A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT.
Bob

Collapse -
good mix
by Speedies / May 18, 2011 7:29 AM PDT

Which laptop would you recommend that has a good mix of portability and good performance for around $1000 (a little bit over $1k would still be fine).

Collapse -
Is GAMING the goal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: good mix

Those ALienware units are nice. But I have an incomplete story about use. Why not the i7 quad core desktop replacement?

I wouldn't suggest such for a student but if you must have desktop performance or are a GAMER why not?
Bob

Collapse -
Multimedia and mobility is needed too
by Speedies / May 18, 2011 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Is GAMING the goal?

Hey,

I wouldn't use this laptop as desktop replacement. I would carry this laptop around to some extent too. So I need performance but also mobility.

By the way, how strong it the "NVIDIA Quadro 1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory"? and how strong is it compared to the "NVIDIA NVS 4200M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory"?

Thank you. Happy

Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 11:21 AM PDT

The use of the word STRONG is odd. Most folk will think of video solutions as how they rank. You find a review of the ENTIRE MACHINE since just the video chips does not tell you how it will perform in a game.

Also past 1GB is debatable on video games on the less that 1080p screens.

But let's face it, the 4200 is an entry level non-gamer solution for those that need AERO, BluRay play and games at low settings. Why is that under consideration given your first i7 thigh burner?
Bob

PS. Nod to those m11x's at http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x-r3/pd.aspx?ref=M11x

Collapse -
lenovo
by Speedies / May 18, 2011 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Very odd.

After reading it again, I agree. "strong" is the wrong word here.

Anyway, I have checked out some Lenovos and some of them are expensive, like there was one for $1600 but had the 4200 in it. Have you ever had lenovos? I'm not about to spend 1600 dollars but I was just curious.

There was another lenovo that was the nvidia 1000m? What's your opinion about that one regarding gaming?

And I like the word "thigh burner" haha. It fits perfectly. Grin

The alienware looks nice too. I've to check that out.

Collapse -
Link about the 1000m
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2011 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: lenovo
Collapse -
Link for Lenovo W520
by Speedies / May 19, 2011 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Link about the 1000m
Collapse -
Good move on the CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2011 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Link for Lenovo W520
Collapse -
Review laptop and my "chosen" laptop are not the same
by Speedies / May 19, 2011 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Good move on the CPU.

The review laptop they used at notebookreview.com is a better version. It has a better CPU as well as better graphics (2000m).

Do you think the basic version is still good? It has the following specs:

[quote] Intel Core i7-2620M Processor (2.70GHz, 4MB L3)

5.6" HD (1366 x 768) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready

NVIDIA Quadro 1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory

4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

DVD recordable multiburner

Express Card Slot & 4 in 1 Card Reader

9 cell Li-Ion Battery - 55++

ThinkPad b/g/n [\quote]

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

I don't think you'll find an exact review. Good luck in your selection.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.