HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

New Laptop Dead...

by MBallentine33 / May 6, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

I have a fairly new compaq presario r4000. its less then a year old and today it died. i have been messing with home networking and internet sharing between it and my desktop. i was messing with the ethernet hook up and got the internet to work. i left it and when i came back it had a blank screen. i turned it off using the button and tried turning it back on and it turns on but nothing shows up on the screen. it remains blank. all the lights on the outside work but it wont load. if you put your hand on it you can feel it running the cd rom over and over but never does anything. ive tried running it with out the cd rom in it and it just sits there with a blank screen. its like the hard drive does not exist. before i left it i was messing with the ethernet cable and it would not stay in so i used a tiny piece of metal to hold it in taped to the outside but it accidentally fell inside and i could hear it because i shook it and heard the fan knock it around a little bit. thats when i left and when i came back. dead.... anyone have any ideas or have had the same problem. im pretty good with the hardware so ive taken it apart cleans it made sure there was nothing fried. everything looked perfectly normal. i dont even know where to start this has never happened to me. some one help. i dont want to take it to some guy whos going to over charge me for some minor fix.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop Dead...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop Dead...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it's less than a year it should be covered under the
by orlbuckeye / May 7, 2007 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: New Laptop Dead...

factory 1 year warranty. Check with Compaq on how they do their warranty work. Some companies want you to send it into them and they will give you instructions and a RMA number ounce you contact them. I'm not sure of how HP/Compaq does it.

Collapse -
Whoops
by retired / May 7, 2007 2:35 AM PDT

before i left it i was messing with the Ethernet cable and it would not stay in so i used a tiny piece of metal to hold it in taped to the outside but it accidentally fell inside and i could hear it because i shook it and heard the fan knock it around a little bit. thats when i left and when i came back. dead....

I think you may have voided the warranty (if there was any) My bet is that the piece of metal shorted something.

Collapse -
"used a tiny piece of metal to hold" = whoops you killed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 3:46 AM PDT

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.