Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

New Laptop administrator problem

by tcantrelln / January 4, 2005 10:54 PM PST

New laptop ( Dell Latitude D800 ) XP-proSp1, doing initial setup of workgroup required SW..( AV-SP2-etc etc)have account created for self ( Admin rights-) basic administrator account, and unnamed eventual user account-(admin also)everything installing ok except for SP2- have CD direct from MS, cannot connect to internet ( intentional-- work rules) everytime I attempt Sp2, I get the message I must be logged on as administrator- when I am already. any ideas???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop administrator problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop administrator problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New Laptop administrator problem
by Cetin Denislam / January 4, 2005 11:58 PM PST

New brand name PC with SP1 only ?

Anyway, boot in Safe Mode and select a true Administrator account. You can install SP2 in Safe Mode.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Yes to the new-but still sp1 laptop
by tcantrelln / January 5, 2005 1:07 AM PST

Purchased and sitting under a mound of other things-I just recently ( last 1/2 hour ) finished doing that very thing-ex I copied the SP2 exe to a folder in the root of "C" then in safe mode installed fine-while I was there-created new additional administrator accounts, then back to unsafe windows and deleted the previously new accts not created in safe mode.. what is the difference in admin accts in and out of safe mode???

Collapse -
What is the difference ?
by Cetin Denislam / January 5, 2005 3:56 AM PST

Shouldn?t be any difference except, of course, a probable maneuvering oversight. You can check yourself in either normal and safe mode. Logon as a user with Administrators priviledge and use the following command:

control userpasswords2

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Have it working correctly
by tcantrelln / January 5, 2005 8:42 AM PST

Now-updates-patches,etc. My creating of new accounts in safe mode also worked well, my question was how was I, or anybody know to set up the first "Deep-Hard-Ultimate" administrator accounts in safe mode when the customary load from scratch setup never takes you to safe mode, etc...Now I need to discover a way to easily determine if an admin acct is really that or just a psuedo admin. Any ideas?? ( now that the powers above know of this they want all workstations checked.).

Collapse -
Any ideas ? I migh help ?
by Cetin Denislam / January 5, 2005 9:03 PM PST

? Thom_as regular, but I'd oscillate to do it for uppers. Why ? For the technical part, I lack pertinent details, for the others (uppers) it's not my task (part of my business).

That being said, from this thread I understand that you began a pilot experimentation with SP2.

Let me tell you some particular examples.

1.Here's how to setup a user with admin privilege on the local PC, without admin privileges on domain.

In Windows 2000 domain, you can add a domain user to the local Administrator group, so that he can have highest privileges on local resources but limited privileges on domain resources.

1.1 Log off the current account and logon as local administrator's account.

1.2. Run Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and add the "Local Users and
Groups" snap-in.

1.3. Double click Administrators in Groups folder and add the user's account.

1.4. Log off and use the user's account to log on again.

Now you will be able to use the this account to run applications.

2. Here's another example of another environment:

Q325351 -"HOW TO: Apply Local Policies to All Users Except Administrators on Windows Server 2003 in a Workgroup Setting"

Which one applied in the past for you ? maybe #1, maybe #2, maybe another.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
I intend to use Nr1
by tcantrelln / January 5, 2005 11:34 PM PST

In the future- workstations are not always joined to the domain after setup and not always left joined. Many thanks for the info.

Collapse -
You are welcome and...*Good Luck* ... [NT]
by Cetin Denislam / January 6, 2005 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: I intend to use Nr1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?