Laptops forum

General discussion

New Laptop

by jopali / September 15, 2004 6:51 AM PDT

I am a undergraduate engineering student, and I'm interested in purchasing a new notebook. I'm particularly looking for lightweight, favorable aesthetical qualities, speed, battery life, and durability. So far I am considering the dell 700m, and the VAIO Z1. Please let me know any information you may have.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: New Laptop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2004 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: New Laptop

Let me be blunt. Sony ranks bottom on service and support. I'm felt this one and can't say anything nice about their service because... there was none.

Bob

Collapse -
by jopali / September 16, 2004 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: New Laptop

Thanks, I guess its the Dell 700m.

Collapse -
by jopali / September 16, 2004 8:06 AM PDT

It's me again. I have also been really annoyed with the vulnerability of the Windows OS, for that reason I am also considering getting a mac notebook. Looking for the same qualities (practical portability is most essential), but I have no knowledge of macs (e.g. service quality, etc.). Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
A little story...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 8:32 AM PDT

I'm sure Apple doesn't do this anymore but this is my story. A desktop Mac was having problems keeping its time and such. We found the motherboard battery was soldered in. No problem they thought... Until Apple service doesn't allow the use of a soldering iron to change out the battery. Fix? Replace the motherboard.

There are similar stories out there, but Mac has no monopoly on service issues.

Bob

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / September 16, 2004 8:34 AM PDT

You have not been reading the forums if you don't know how Apple rates on repairs (quality) or technical support.

I just posted yesterday on other posts that Apple was #1 in the Consumer Reports poll for repairs and technical support (IBM is #2 for notebook technical support).

If Apple has want you want and you are willing to pay a premium on most of their models (but not all) then they are an excellent choice.

For instance a 17" Apple LCD powerbook weighs only 6.9 pounds -- a comparable 17" HP or Toshiba (Pentium 4M based) is over the 9 pound weight.

Apple has slot loading DVD/CD drives now which many people are installing on their PC notebooks (Panasonic drive).

The main thing is to have a group of people or some source for Apple support as people that use them are very dedicated to them.

I have found a dedicated forum for my Compaq X1000 series notebook so I am happy with that aspect as well.

You can't rely on the company technical support alone. Many issues you will have (viruses, wi-fi networking, firewalls, etc) are not the domain or responsibility of the notebook manufacturer.

So, check out X1000forums.com as an example and then check out the Apple forums (there are many of course) if you think that will work for you.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / September 16, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

The Consumer Reports issue is September 2004 on the newsstand. I just bought it 2-3 days ago.

Also PC magazine had a poll (which was cited in a recent USA today technical support article) and Apple was #1 there for notebook service as well ( they were not looking at repairs only service).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.