Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

New Laptop

by Benamps / February 9, 2008 11:31 PM PST

Ok im not really new to computer blah blah blah, but im getting a new laptop instead of having to use my rubbish desktop PC which is rubbish and next time it breaks i cant be bothered to reboot it again, so i want a laptop.
I will be using it for:
Video editing (not proffesional)
Listening to music
Viewing pics and vids
Web browsing
and yeah, thats it really, dont care about graphics ect
im thinking about getting a macbook as it seems suitable for what i want a laptop to do but the cheapest ones have like 1GB Ram and im no PC wiz so i dont no if this is good or whatver

so basicly my question is Windows laptop or Macbook?
and which one would be suitable for me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: New Laptop

I was amazed at how sporty the 1G RAM equipped unit was.

Collapse -
Hands on, try it
by Willy / March 6, 2008 11:15 PM PST

Depending on your locale, you can try using demo units just for the purpose of look and feel, especially windoze ones. As for Apple based systems, if your lucky there is an Apple store or maybe some Apple vendor. This way you get a true feel for what you may want. Current windoze based systems have gotten less expensive, while Apple tend to be more. Either way, for most windoze based models the gambit of a selection is great and/or far more customized for certain models. Vendor or OEM websites can allow you to make your system as you like it and find the final pricing but more importantly just what is available as a typical offering as std. system. Check them out...

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
A few things to consider
by double_clutch / March 16, 2008 12:47 AM PDT

I think you should first decide on the operating system. I'd say that the Mac OS requires less maintenance, and Windows needs looking after as time goes by. As Macs can run Windows these days that leaves some headroom down the line. For your usage either would work, but you can narrow the list down considering several aspects.
The last Apple laptop I've owned was an iBook (clamshell) and that thing was bulletproof. It withstood a lot of damage. In general I would say Apple laptops are the best in terms of fit and finish and are just pleasant to use. Apples, however, don't come cheap, so you'll be paying more, but in my opinion getting more. The Sony Vaio line is what I consider to be the next best thing. On the other end of the spectrum a family member recently got the least expensive Acer, and I have to say I like the updated graphite finish. Even at that price point the hardware didn't seem too underpowered for general tasks. 1Gb would be enough to work on the Macbook, but I would go for more. In any event you can upgrade the RAM later. Pardon the vague recommendation, but I would suggest factoring in budget, OS preference, and trying out the laptops in person. Happy shopping.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?