500gb Hitachi deskstar
8gb (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX XMP 1600mhz cl9
i5 3570k
running integrated hd4000 graphics at the moment
Windows 7
Hyper 212+ Cooler
CM690 II advanced case
Gigabyte z77-d3h motherboard

I keep getting random freezes, no BSOD the screen stays on but I can't move the mouse or interact and all sounds stop. I play games but it often happens when I'm not in games, I have checked CPU and HDD temps, HDD temps are fine and CPU temps are around 30 degrees. I can't imagine what is wrong with it, I have swapped RAM DIMM slots, changed SATA ports and everything. When I play counter strike global offensive if it crashes ingame I can see a message warning me of connection loss and the timer counting down from 30 works as does my FPS monitor and ping monitor. I did install Windows with a scratched disk, I used an anytime upgrade to change to Ultimate but this did not fix it. It happens at least once a day but some days it is worse than others. I have overclocked my CPU but even at default settings for my BIOS it happens. Can anyone think of what is wrong and a solution. Thanks everyone

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: New Ivy Bridge system crashes and freezes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: New Ivy Bridge system crashes and freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Did you try it without the SSD?

Even today I'm finding myself remove the SSD until this gets sorted out (BIOS, drive issues.)

The hd4000 would be an issue during games. I expect crashes on this graphics too.

No mention of heatsink compound or if you build machines all the time.
Bob

- Collapse -
nope

No I haven't reinstalled my OS onto a different drive. The SSD is new and I can't see any reason for it to be faulty. I performed scandisk on all drives and they were all fine.

I have built a machine before, I know what I am doing. I used the compound that came with the cooler. I am thinking that a reinstall of windows would sort it out, could be registry issues due to the scratched disk, but I dont want to go through all of that hassle to find out that it wasn't the solution. I am getting a graphics card in a few weeks, maybe if this doesn't resolve the issue I might just reinstall my OS. I am highly doubtful though as, like I said, the crashes can happen in or out of games. I find it weird that it freezes but I can still see activity on the screen.

Thanks for the reply

- Collapse -
Then good luck.

I noted a recurring issue with SSD and since you can't bring yourself to try it without then you'll never know.

Good luck in your search for cures.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Well I am not totally ignoring your advice, I think I would just feel better to try to use all other options first.

Thanks again

- Collapse -
Maybe another mod will jump in

And we had a lot to cover to get their SSD up and going. It's a common issue so that's where I start.

Keep in mind I use your post for the clues as to what to try first. I've yet to find that a scratched disc = registry problems. However I have found registry checkers and cleaners to create that issue.

Let's check your Windows post install work. Did you make sure you enabled AHCI before starting the Windows setup and use the 64-bit drivers if you are installing 64-bit OS (can't remember if Intel provides different versions). Intel's AHCI drivers usually offer better SSD performance. Link follows to Intel's RST
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm

I also check power supply choices but can't find that in your post.
Bob

- Collapse -

Well I'm not too sure about the AHCI thing as I did know that I had to use this, however I didn't know it had to be applied before install and when I tried to change it afterwards it just caused my system to crash on startup. My PSU is a Coolermaster TX650w. I checked my event viewer and it does seem like there is a recurring entry, however it isn't reported each time my computer has crashed, it has crashed 7 times or so today but there are only 2 entries, however it does seem to be a daily occurence, this is the entry:

Error atapi event ID: 11
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

I have checked and I believe IDE port1 is my SSD. So i guess that is the problem. Can you shed any light onto what I should do? I assume a reinstallation is necessary. Thank you so much

- Collapse -
Microsoft has not provided any procedure to

Change the SATA mode and easily fix the OS. If it was done incorrectly you have to ask the PC's maker why they did that. If you are the maker, it was your choice to do that.

Don't take this wrong but your machine is a tad advanced. And even correcting the initial AHCI is not enough for some machines. I find myself updating drive firmware, the motherboard BIOS and then sketching out an exacting install plan.

Sometimes you see folk slap a PC together and install 7 and use it. Gamers or performance buffs can't do that.
Bob

- Collapse -
Also

I am about to reinstall windows, may I ask how I would go about doing so? I will use the format harddrive option, but then will windows restart to give me a chance to enter the BIOS and change to AHCI? Also as I can only select AHCI for the whole motherboard will that not effect the HDD I am using or will it work for both drives in AHCI?

- Collapse -
The usual

I set the BIOS then boot the DVD then remove all partitions using the Windows installer then when the Windows installer asks where to install I point to the drive in question.

Then you follow your machine's instructions for the drivers and such. Since you have a SSD then you also do the extra work of checking BIOS and drive firmware before you start.

Let's hope you don't fall for the "it's new so I don't need to update firmware" issue. Parts arrive out of date.
Bob

- Collapse -
How?

Like I said the whole storage drive stuff is new to me, how to obtain the firmware and when do I install it? This will be my last post until I reinstall, hopefully I will be back on by later to thank you. Grin

- Collapse -
how to obtain the firmware and when do I install it?

I can NEVER answer that directly. You get such from the motherboard and drive makers and you follow THEIR INSTRUCTIONS.

If I did tell you where to get this and how, my answer could be wrong. And will be wrong since the makers update both all the time.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ok

I shall begin my quest, I will be posting my thanks later Happy

- Collapse -
Something I've just noticed

If I go into my device manager and go onto "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" it displays the following:

ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I would have imagined that it would display something for the SATA devices. I don't really know much about storage, sorry for being a bit dumb

- Collapse -
Looks good to me.

But then again, I've been at this too long. In IDE emulation mode, no SATA shows up. On some boards there is a mixed mode but you can imagine this is going to confuse those that are new to PCs.
Bob

CNET Forums