Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

New issue with Firefox?

by EdHannigan / September 28, 2009 10:49 PM PDT

All of a sudden my reliable FF 3 crashes on starting up. Is this something that's going on, or is it just my computer?

I've done System Restore, Uninstalled/reinstalled FF... no good. Stuck with IE8,whichI hae.

XP Home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New issue with Firefox?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New issue with Firefox?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Firefox crashes
by Kees Bakker / September 29, 2009 3:40 AM PDT

Delete you Firefox profile. A new (and hopefully uncorrupted) one will be created.
This PC here has no FF, so I can't tell you exactly where it is. But if you search for "mozilla" in your Documents and Settings you'll find it. It's in your Application Data or Local Settings subfolder, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
Already tried that. No dice.
by EdHannigan / September 29, 2009 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Firefox crashes

Maybe I'll uninstall again and reinstall, but something is going on. Virus maybe?

Collapse -
Strange.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

Hi Ed.

Any idea when this started, and what, if anything, changed at that time?

Does Firefox crash if you start it in it's Safe mode? Try this if you haven't tried it yet;

Assuming you are using XP, go to Start > Run, and type in " firefox -safe-mode ", (without the quotes), and click OK. The space between firefox and the first dash is important.

If it works in safe mode without crashing, then my bet is an add-on, even if you have uninstalled and re-installed.

Tell us how that goes.

Mark

Collapse -
Started this morning
by EdHannigan / September 29, 2009 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange.

Nothing changed as far as I know. Tried Safe Mode. No good.
I either get teh Firefox has crsashed dialog or Fiur4efox is aalready runnning (which it isn't). I may just format.

Collapse -
No good huh?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Started this morning

Sorry for the delay Ed. My email server went down this morning, and I never got the tracker email for this discussion.

Did you have a look at the information Carol linked to in the links below? If so, anything there of any use?

It's strange that you get the message that Firefox is already running. Can I ask how you know it isn't? It may not show in the Task Manager under the Applications tab, but there may still be a Firefox process running under the Processes tab. (Right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager).

Do you have Firefox set to load every time you start the computer? If so, de-select that, and reboot the system, then see if Firefox works OK.

Next option. Do you have another Admin capable account on this computer? If so, can you log into that, (restart the computer, select the other Admin account to log into, rather than switch users). If Firefox is installed in that account, see if it works. If it isn't install it, and see if it will work.

I'm just wondering if there isn't some sort of account corruption on the account you normally use.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
If creating a new profile doesn't help..
by Carol~ Moderator / September 29, 2009 5:16 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?