Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

Question

New Iphone 4 versus reconditoned Iphone 5

by fighterpilota / October 29, 2013 7:10 AM PDT

Still trying to figure out my phone choices. Thru straight talk I can get an I-4 for $350 dollars. And can get an I-5, reconditioned one, for $400 dollars. Is it worth it to spend $50 more for a reconditioned I-5 versus buying the new, but older version I-4? Also, ome indicate the Motorola has good weak signal capability. I have posted here before on that issue. The only Motorola one they sell won't work Verizon, so am struck with buy and try to see if I can get a signal in the house or go with an Iphone, I want to be able to return them if they don't work. Really would like to go Android but a couple of the smart phones I tried with Straight Talk didn't work for me, whereas my grandson's Iphone did. Could buy on line from someone a Motorola Razer but then returning it if if doesn't work is a problem. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Iphone 4 versus reconditoned Iphone 5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Iphone 4 versus reconditoned Iphone 5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Unless the unit is from Apple
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 7:16 AM PDT

I would never consider an Apple refurb.

Collapse -
apple refurb
by fighterpilota / October 29, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

From your comment you would rather have a new older model I-4 than a refurb newer model I 5. Just want to confirm. Thanks

Collapse -
because of what folk gripe about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: apple refurb

you want the newer model, faster cpu, etc. to avoid the usual complaints. I see I was unclear about the refurb. Apple does it right. And the warranty is same as a new one here.
Bob

Collapse -
Iphone models
by fighterpilota / October 29, 2013 11:13 AM PDT

Appreciate the clarification. Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
More importantly, buy the correct service for...
by Pepe7 / October 29, 2013 12:36 PM PDT

...your needs that provides the best coverage. Phone brand/model isn't so important if there's no signal. The newer Motorolas are just as capable of dropping a call, FWIW.

Collapse -
iphones
by fighterpilota / October 29, 2013 1:00 PM PDT

There is a signal, just weak. I have Verizon. and a tin roof. I can stand in the center of my house and have no signal on my convoy 2 3g, LG/Smarttalk 200 dollar straight talk, and Samsungs newest and greatest, but an Iphone gives me one bar. Near a window I get one bar on the less capabile phones and 2 bars on the Iphones. Hence my search. It is apparent that the Iphone can pick up a weaker signal, probably because of better antenna system. On the forums the Motorola razer phones get good reviews for picking up the signal as well. If I could get an android phone vice an apple phone I would like to do that. I'm looking for a phone that will give me one bar in my house like the Iphone does. I'm not interested in Wilson antenna/amp systems or internet repeaters. If no other phone can replicate the capability of the Iphone in my house I will buy an Iphone. Thanks

Collapse -
So you agree
by Pepe7 / October 30, 2013 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: iphones

It's all about coverage. Fix that, and your will have a massive selection of phones/provider options. The more you are in denial about your real situation, the issue will merely continue.

What do you mean when you write "If I could get an Android phone vice an apple phone I would like to do that" (?)

Collapse -
apple phones
by fighterpilota / October 30, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: So you agree

I would prefer a phone other than the apple, because of it's unique operating system, but finding an android or other system phone that will pick up my signal in the house eludes me. I have tried three other phones and get 0 bars in the center of the house. I haven't found a Motorola razer source that I can try and return if it doesn't work, hence the only know phone that will work is the Apple. I mention Motorola since the forums have indicated they have a pretty good reception capability. My friend just gave up her apple and went to the latest Samsung which I tried and again 0 bar in the center of my house.

I don't understand your comment about coverage. Do you mean the tin roof coverage or the signal coverage. If signal how do I fix that? It is what it is. I have to find a phone to work with what I have got. Iphone will but am exploring others as well. Please clarify your coverage assertion.

Collapse -
You already alluded to the fix
by Pepe7 / October 31, 2013 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: apple phones

Quality products such as Wilson Amp/Repeaters (and perhaps a few less expensive SOHO variants that cover a room or two of a house) are the only way to effectively bring in a weak outdoor signal, circumvent your 'hot tin roof' <vbg>, and amplify it enough to be useful throughout the residence. No phone model can fix your weak signal alone.

While back in the GSM/CDMA only days, a RAZR might have been a fix per se, in reality now this may depend on the frequency bands currently used by the provider in your area, as well as the technologies of the RAZR. If it's the old school quad-band GSM style, you may not receive calls as well as the newer versions of the RAZR which also include 3G (UMTS) frequency bands. This will depend on what the carrier is doing with their network at specific locales. Trial and error, essentially. It can be frustrating, let alone having to deal with structural issues like your metal roof ;(.

Collapse -
agree
by Dr_Willy / November 6, 2013 6:45 PM PST

I agree, I have a background in physics and basically what you are facing is a Faraday cage, in a nutshell your building structure is acting as a shield to repel electromagnetic waves (radio waves in this case). You can reduce the effect of this by 1. going outside or 2. removing the metal which is blocking your signals from entering your home.

Though I do like the Wilson Amp/ Repeater idea. I hope you can get that and try it, so we can have some feedback here.

Collapse -
Read Pepe7's reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: apple phones

If you've been around the block a few times and I have with a background in 2 way pager base station design you know that some trial and error is involved. And to nail that coverage without trial and error is a monumental expense as you get out the trucks with the antennas, gear and engineers to map out the location and then write up a proposal.

Wilson gear suddenly looks cheap.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!