General discussion

new install using 50% more HDD space

xp pro sp3 and all additional MS updates. New install with the same apps and its at 11.9gig. Previous installs it was 7gig. This is C partition. All my personal files, downloads, favorites, etc are on D partition. Partitions made using the xp pro install disk, just like I did on previous installs. New HDD too, using NTFS just like before. Only extra apps is skype (31.75meg) and I dont currently have Thunderbird installed, but did before.

If I click on an email link it opens outlook, even though it was not installed. I did double check add/remove programs and OE was not checked and it listed 0.0 MB. I then installed OE and after reboot, its checked but still lists 0.0 MB. Most apps listed whether checked or not list 0.0 MB. Some apps whether installed or not installed list sizes over 0.0 MB. Also, under Network Connections there is LAN or High Speed Network~Local Area Connection 3, as before(except for the 3), but now a new Internet Gateway~Internet Connection, which I've never seen before. Its properties listed uTorrent twice and Skyipe twice. Ive had Utorrent installed before, but this is my first time using Skype. Whats Internet Gateway~Internet Connection? If I un-check Skype and or UTorrent(twice), close properties, then open it back up, they are all checked again.

Ideas what up?

Thanks,
>p

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: new install using 50% more HDD space
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: new install using 50% more HDD space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The moment I read UTorrent

I thought that's a bad sign. I've lost count of how many compromised machines out there with that.

Good luck finding this one.
Bob

- Collapse -
What's wrong with utorrent?

Ive used it for years. What torrent down-loader would be better?

>p

- Collapse -
Nothing.

It's what people download today. It's how the bad stuff comes in. Even movies, mp3s and "content" can have exploits. A new one last week is that PDF exploit.

Torrents continue to be the best way of finding the latest pests. So when we encounter torrents we know "that's not good."
Bob

- Collapse -
toreents

I take great care in what I dnld. I read comments posted, look at the file extensions. If I dnld it, I leave it for at lest 24 hours, update my AV app, and scan it before I open. I also dont dnld copyrighted or the popular stuff that is more likely to be exploited. To date I've not been infected.

I did find why my HDD was at almost 12g. So, now its at 8.x and I can accept that. I'm still concerned about that gateway thing.

- Collapse -
Many torrent

Softwares open up the machine to abuse. That is YOUR CHOICE so I'll just note it and move to the next thing.

Why not go find out what's eating the space?

We know that Vista, 7 use much more space (see the WinSXS issue) and you have tools like TREESIZE to go find the big stuff. That gateway should account for a few bytes since it's a gateway or software pipe, nothing more.

Who said this was an infection? The machine might be in use by the torrent users to store files for others. That's not an infection.
Bob

- Collapse -
?

I never said or suspected it was an infection.

I stated that I found out what was holding the extra gigs.

CNET Forums