Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

New Install of Win XP Pro-SP2 -- Help would be appreciated

Have rebuilt my desktop, new mobo, 160G HD, 1G Ram. Mobo is a fujitsu that is listed on the HCI, but needs external video card - using Geforce. Win XP-SP2 from Tiger/OEM version.
Did the install/format Hd, install finishes, restarts and does a particial boot -- Win XP main screen comes on, then screen flashes over to a poor quality XP main screen, and halts. Restart in Safe Mode, boot starts but when main screen should appear, horiz. lines and blue text type symbols, as if Geforce video card not being functional.
Any thoughts??
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: New Install of Win XP Pro-SP2 -- Help would be appreciated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: New Install of Win XP Pro-SP2 -- Help would be appreciated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is an external video card?

In reply to: New Install of Win XP Pro-SP2 -- Help would be appreciated

I've seen such on laptops but never considered using them on a desktop.

-> How about the common overlooked drivers such as motherboard and SATA drivers. These are not on the XP CD and widely documented as needed during the install. I see no reference to these in your post.

bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply

In reply to: What is an external video card?

The Fujitsu mobo does not have a video output embedded, so an external card is required. Have had no problem with an install of Win2000, went in and came up without an issue (wanted to see if was me or something else). I have run a disk scubber to return the hd to a "blank condition." Did try another WinXP install, same issue.
On the video card: GeForce 4, MX440 8X, with 64MB -- worked well in the last build that I did. Just was not expecting what's occuring now.

Collapse -
So you have the normal PCI, AGP or PCIE video card.

In reply to: Thanks for the reply

Collapse -
Returning to WinXP from Vista

In reply to: So you have the normal PCI, AGP or PCIE video card.

Hi Bob,
I tried to return to WinXp from vista and I get C:/windows.
I need to know what command to add after C:/windows to accomplish this.
When I typed in some of the commands listed in help, I get bad commands response.
Can you help me?
Thank you.
Don

Collapse -
So Shreck2, how does this relate to the video card issue?

In reply to: Returning to WinXP from Vista

If this isn't Shreck2, please don't drop new discussions in old threads. Create a new discussion just for you.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.